Jennifer, I do know that the percentage that VA would give as part of a
military retirement is exempt from income taxes. Otherwise, any other
portion of this monthly check is taxed. I am not sure if this applies to
governmental civilian workers or not, that retirement due to disability
is allowed partial  or all of this a tax break.  I do know that social
security checks for dependent children are added to a parent and taxed
up to the amount that they are taxable. Temporary disability money is
not taxed. I agree it seems wrong to punish someone even more for being
unable to work and if so, it should at least be based on ones ability to
pay not on the amount that is given each month.

* seattle* Audrey