In a message dated 10/5/00 4:34:04 PM Central Daylight Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

<<
 My problem with certain aspects of the stem cell work has to do with
 the kind of remarks that have been made on this List where people
 have suggested that they would advocate starting a pregnancy for the
 express purpose of using the "products of conception" as a source for
 stem cells.  In the recent case, the baby lived; but others have
 suggested that aborted babies are also "fair game".  That is what I am
 unalterably opposed to.

Bob -

There are strict prohibitions on using embryos obtained frrom these sources,
and no one is trying to get these restrictions removed.  Nor are the
restrictions likely to be removed.  The issue at hand is a simple one:  do we
do potentially life-saving research on excess embryos from in vitro programs,
or do we incinerate these embryos?   Any other "slippery slope" arguments
simply confuse the issue.

Respectfully, Margie