I wrote:

"We do not know how much the [Christopher Reeve] foundation
knew of this work."

Boy, that was dumb!  It sounds like I'm saying the folks at
foundation didn't know what they spent their money on!  Let's see...

At the foundation web site historical list of grants

http://paralysis.apacure.org/research/histgrants.html

I found

"Itzhak Fischer, Ph.D., MCP Hahnemann University, Philadelphia,
PA ; Development of strategies for transplantation of marrow
stromal cells in injured spinal cord."

This doesn't quite say changing marrow cells to nerve cells, but
that is sort of implied.

Fisher is not mentioned among the authors of the study reported in
the Journal of Neuroscience Research article I cited earlier, nor do I
see any reference in the Foundation's list to that project.  The
journal article says the project was funded by NIH grants AR44210
and HD23315 and Christopher Reeve Paralysis Foundation Grant
IBC-9501.

The NIH abstract for HD23115 says:

"Grant Number:  5P01HD23315-12
PI Name:  BLACK, IRA B.
PI Title:
Project Title:  GROWTH AND DEVELOPMENT OF THE
NERVOUS SYSTEM

"Abstract: The central objective of this program project is to define
integrative principles governing the diverse processes of brain
development. We hypothesize that reciprocal neuron-neuron and
neuron-glial-neuron interactions, mediated by a limited set of
intercellular signals, coordinate seemingly unrelated developmental
events. Specifically, (a) trophic factors, including the diffusible
neurotrophin gene family members, b) growth (mitogenic) factors,
including bFGF, c) membrane-bound, chemorepulsive, cellular
labels of the Eph gene family, and d) conventional
neurotransmitters working combinatorially, synchronize the
developmental sequence. These molecular signals coordinate
neuronal mitosis, selective survival, axogenesis, pathfinding,
topographic projection and synaptic plasticity. The epigenetic
molecular signals mediate and integrate neural activity, trophic and
glial coordination of proliferation, selective survival, pathway
formation and synaptic function. We will employ multidisciplinary
molecular genetic, biochemical and morphologic approaches to
study neuronal development in vivo and in culture. We plan to
define a) neuroblasts, b) the role of peripheral bFGF in brain
neurogenesis, c) the role of the p75 neurotrophin receptor in
developmental cell death and survival, d) the role of Eph family
ligands and receptors in brain topographic projection, e) trophic
regulation of synaptic plasticity and 3) the role of astrocyte-neuron
interactions in brain development."

Well, I don't recognize anything about turning bone marrow cells
into nerve cells here, but I don't understand much of this.

I couldn't find AR44210.

Anyway, the National Conference of Catholic Bishops
spokesperson Richard M. Doerflinger says at
http://www.nccbuscc.org/prolife/publicat/lifeissues/08182000.htm

of Christopher Reeve's testimony to Senator Specter's
subcommittee:

"This groundbreaking research [transforming bone marrow to nerve
cells] was funded by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and the
Christopher Reeve Paralysis Foundation, both of which strongly
support human embryo research. An extra surprise: The
Foundation's subsidized researchers submitted this astonishing
study for publication on March 31 – a month before the Foundation
had Mr. Reeve testify that adult stem cells are incapable of
producing different cell types. How could Foundation officials have
been unaware that their testimony was false?"

"He then says that this is an "apparent instance of anti-life politics
falsifying science".

I e-mailed the Foundation to ask what they have to say about this.

Phil Tompkins