>The Open Directory project is committed to including quality
>sites which have useful content.
>No site is guaranteed placement in the Open Directory, and
>editors are required to maintain editorial integrity and to
>use good judgment when adding content.
>The following points are considered before including sites
>in the Parkinson's Disease category:
>1. does the site have useful content?
>2. is it content-rich?
>3. is the site current?
>4. does it appear to be well-maintained?
>5. does it provide diversity to the category?
>6. is any financial interest declared according to HON
>guidelines?
>7. if the site is described as "non-profit", are financial
>records available on the site?
>8. does the site meet W3C WAI guidelines for accessibility
>by all browsers, platforms, and users?

The guidelines while they sound good in reality are not necessarily followed by the listees.

The P-I-E-N-O listing is wrong.

>Parkinson's Information Exchange Network Online
>by John Cottingham (a Person With Parkinson's)
>http://www.parkinsons-information-exchange-network-online.com/parkmail/maill
>ist.html

It is not necessary to identify P-I-E-N-O with me. P-I-E-N-O is a labor of love. I do not have Parkinson's. The URL is for the Parkinsn Mail Page, not the general gateway page for the website which is at:

http://parkinsons-information-exchange-network-online.com/

The Open Directory Project (ODP) when instituted seemed like a good idea. Humans ranking similar websites. Some editors use editorial bias in the listing and have not revisited to see any new content while their biased comments still remain attached to the original editorial.

P-I-E-N-O logs of referring sites show no traffic from ODP so ODP evidently is not attracting visitors looking for Parkinson's information.

Janet, I appreciate your volunteer effort with ODP but it is my opinion that it is for naught.

John Cottingham

[log in to unmask]   Search the parkinsn archive online at:
                 http://james.parkinsons.org.uk
                Catch the Parkinsn's List Online messages at:
         http://www.parkinsons-information-exchange-network-online.com
             Click the navigation ads and use the new search tools
John Cottingham