hi all

At 23:51 2000/10/08 -0500, john cottingham and i wrote:
>>The Open Directory Project is committed to including quality
>>sites which have useful content.
>>No site is guaranteed placement in the Open Directory, and
>>editors are required to maintain editorial integrity and to
>>use good judgment when adding content.
>>The following points are considered before including sites
>>in the Parkinson's Disease category:
>>1. does the site have useful content?
>>2. is it content-rich?
>>3. is the site current?
>>4. does it appear to be well-maintained?
>>5. does it provide diversity to the category?
>>6. is any financial interest declared according to HON
>>guidelines?
>>7. if the site is described as "non-profit", are financial
>>records available on the site?
>>8. does the site meet W3C WAI guidelines for accessibility
>>by all browsers, platforms, and users?

>The guidelines while they sound good in reality are not
>necessarily followed by the listees.
>The P-I-E-N-O listing is wrong.
>
>>Parkinson's Information Exchange Network Online
>>by John Cottingham (a Person With Parkinson's)
>>http://www.parkinsons-information-exchange-network-online.com/parkmail/maill
>>ist.html
>
>It is not necessary to identify P-I-E-N-O with me. P-I-E-N-O is a labor
>of love. I do not have Parkinson's. >The URL is for the Parkinsn Mail Page,
>not the general gateway page for he website which is at:
>http://parkinsons-information-exchange-network-online.com/

john, please forgive my error, i will correct it.
and all this time [four or more years], i thought you had pd!

i felt it was important to identify those sites which have been built by pwp
as part of our "invisible no more!" battle cry
and felt that if anyone already had a website with their name on it
they would not feel shy about my directory listing!

>The Open Directory Project (ODP) when instituted seemed like a good idea.
>Humans ranking similar websites. Some editors use editorial bias in the
>listing and have not revisited to see ny new content while their biased
>comments still remain attached to the original editorial....

i hope that the parkinson's category has improved over the past 9 months
i have made a concerted effort to update each and every listing
and have also done some (imho) long needed housecleaning

that being said
the odp is all volunteer run -
it seems to be a labour of love by most of us

since the odp is being adopted by virtually all of the major search engines
{google yahoo and aol to name three of the biggest}
as their core web directory service, they must be doing something right!

>P-I-E-N-O logs of referring sites show no traffic from ODP so ODP evidently
>is not attracting visitors looking for Parkinson's information....

i would surmise that most of your visitors already know about the pd list?
but then again, your traffic logs would not necessarily show direct hits
from odp
since it is being adopted by the other search engines

>Janet, I appreciate your volunteer effort with ODP
>but it is my opinion that it is for naught....

i really appreciate your comments - thank you!

i will keep pluggin on irregardless!

janet

janet paterson
53 now / 44 dx cd / 43 onset cd / 41 dx pd / 37 onset pd
TEL: 613 256 8340 URL: http://www.geocities.com/janet313/
EMAIL: [log in to unmask] SMAIL: PO Box 171 Almonte Ontario K0A 1A0 Canada