                                              Inbox

From:
        "L-Soft list server at UofT (1.8d)" <[log in to unmask]>
Save Address - Block Sender
To:
        Bob Armentrout <[log in to unmask]> Save Address
Subject:
        Rejected posting to [log in to unmask]
Date:
        Sun, 8 Oct 2000 08:55:44 -0400

                                                                Previous

  Next

             Close

Your message  is being returned to  you unprocessed

Aand then the
(((*(*(*(*(* blankity blank computer at list serve sent my reply back and
siad it was too much like a message already posted to the list and to add a
sentence - it dont seem to care that i am one handed at the moment.  If you
love food, or if you wish to eat, you should hug your neighborhood farmer -
cause he is feeding 50+ people while making much less income than the ave
middle american.  Odds are he is also 60+ years old, and is in debt - to the
point where 2 or 3 bad years will cause him to lose land/farm  which has
probably been in his family 2 or more generations.... And farming is so EASY
right? just stick seeds in the ground and come back and harvest....right?
And corn comes in a can and milk comes from a plastic bottle. No mention of
working by the light of the moon to get the crop in before the rain/freeze,
no mention of weeds, insects, bankers, lawyers, politions or other pests.
i am off and sick, and if the computer at list serve still thinks this
letter is too similar to william's original post, then to hell with it too!

Hit my hot button again.... I have a few questions about your research
cited, and I hope the original report was clearer or better written than the
summary.... I started to put this down at the bottom of the page, but i
figured a lot of folks were going to hit delete, and i damn sure want my
opinion known on this topic.  The american farmer raises more food more
economical and BY GOD MORE SAFER than anyone anywhere in the world has ever
done in the past.  Yes, there have been some chemicals used which IF MISUSED
COULD POSSIBLY CAUSE PROBLEMS, BUT SO CAN DRINKING TOO MUCH PURE WATER,
EATING TOO MANY VITAMINES ETC
My point being, anything can be abused, but just because the potential is
there doesnt nmeen it happens., shit i am so damn mad i just went oiff.
more to follow
bob aka tex

Environmental pesticides linked with Parkinson's         <<...>>
This report provides further evidence of the effect of environmental
pesticides on Parkinson's disease (PD). Over a 10-year period, mortality
rates associated with PD and ischaemic heart disease were compared across 58
Californian states, which had been ranked by pesticide use.

I am assuming californian states are like Texas counties? What other
similarities were looked at in these ranked states besides the use of
restricted use pesticides?  Since restricted use ag pesticides are primarily
used by commercial farmers, and since commercial farmers are primarily
located where the climate is most conductive to growing, I would assume that
there were more similarities in these ranked states than the pesticide
use....by  the way, just which restricted use pesticides were included, and
restricted by whom? the state of california or the federal restricted list?

The investigators found that mortality from PD, as the underlying cause of
death, was 19-47% higher in states reporting the use of restricted
agricultural pesticides compared with PD mortality in states reporting no
use of restricted pesticides.
again, what restricted use pesticides, and which list?

Although no dose-response relationship was observed, the risk of dying from
PD was correlated with percentage of land treated for the single year in
which this data was analysed.

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No dose-response was observed, but the risk of
dying from pd was what????????? and this conclusion is based on a single ONE
yrs data???

What happened to the 10 year study we started talking about, what about the
other nine years, what was the statistical significance of the results, and
what statistical methods were used to decide that these were real results
rather than interpreted results??

How about a few more questions re this research?
this research provides evidence that MORTALITY from pd is correlated... NOT
incidence, but mortality? PD pop/ages/length of diagnosis, ave age of county
(most farming counties are older ave age than the national norm), etc etc
This research therefore provides evidence that
mortality from PD is correlated with environmental pesticide exposure.
Source: Ritz B & Yu F. International J Epidemiology 2000;29:323-329. Updated
September 2000.