Bob,

Clarification, please.  Just some points that come to mind...

IF "the price of freedom is eternal vigilance" how then can you say,>> "I'm
afraid that I do trust everyone, including the US Government,
>> until I find that I can't trust them anymore?"......  Under these
conditions, mightn't you be too late?

Let's go beyond your grandparents' time to our time.  If we had
demonstrated eternal vigilance over the years and had joined together the
way we can(and I'll never understand why we don't) would we have such an
apathetic public?  Would we not have a majority of citizens who vote
instead of a citizenry that is slowly giving up one of its greatest
privileges?

If we were vigilant, would not the health, welfare, education and the
futures of our children, our nation's greatest jewels, be our number one
concern?  Would we have continued to pay teachers less than many garbage
disposal technicians(I do not begrudge them their salaries)?  Would we not
hold parents responsible for their children?

If we were vigilant, would we not have the power to guarantee that our
government fulfill promises made regarding the health and medical well
being of veterans of WWII, Korea, Viet Nam, the Gulf, etc.?  In fact, had
we been vigilant and gotten the facts instead of propaganda, would we have
truly sanctioned any but WWII?  Going further, would we have lost control
and allowed the Congress of the United States to have the most supreme
retirement and medical care while veterans and current servicemen and their
families get the least amount of care and are often eligible for food
stamps?  At what point did Congress and our legislatures become so
omnipotent?   WHERE WERE WE?

Further, if we were vigilant, would we have allowed huge companies to
merge(we used to have laws preventing this), CEO's to garner millions while
long-time employees lost(and are losing)jobs and years of or all of their
retirement funds.  Dare I mention the minimum wage and families attempting
to survive?  What about the overwhelming power of the IRS until recently?
Look how long that change took!  Where did vigilance go, and where were we
when they got such autocratic power?

With early vigilance we could have prevented OUR congressional
representatives from vested interests.  Maybe if their financial worth were
as limited as some of ours have been they would truly represent us!

Too many of us have trusted I fear.  Too many of us have taken this
wonderful country and what it offers for granted. We have allowed the magic
words GREED and POWER to pervade every phase of our existences.  That's why
research scientists fail to follow FDA rulings.  That's why the private
sector will have control of stem cell research unless Congress develops an
unbiased, ethical process.  How sad it will be if stem cell research
becomes a buyer's market unavailable to the average patient!   Members of
our legislatures and members of Congress have all the coverage they need
for themselves and their families.  On the whole, they don't hunger for
familial protections and opportunities.  No matter what happens, they are
covered-even those who are vehemently against the research(one can change
one's mind)in a family emergency.

In reality, it may be that most of us have willingly entrusted our lives to
other people's hands whether is be employer, members of the legislatures,
congressional representatives or our physicians, etc.  Given this, it is
for each one of us to decide whether or not we are getting what we have
literally paid for.   Whatever the conclusion, may I suggest that we need
to be vigilant first and consider trust second.  Isn't that what part of
the stem cell debate is all about?

May we walk together in the headdress of the sun.