A friend sent me this article from Ann Landers... he left the disease blank
as it can fit a great many conditions, certainly mine, and I think PD fits
here too!    Luella

        Dear Ann Landers: I am a __
year-old person who has ________.
Please print this list of "DOs
and DON'Ts" for dealing with a
person who has this disease.
Most folks don't have a clue.
You would not believe the ignorance
I have encountered.
        DON'T assume because I look
well that I feel well. Looks can be
very deceiving. Many days I look
great, but 1 feel terrible.
        DON'T tell me you know how
I feel. No one knows how anyone
else feels. Two people with the
same disease may feel totally different.
We all have varying thresholds of pain,
and pain can not be measured.
        DON'T tell me about your
great-aunt Gertrude and her
______, and how well she managed
in spite of it. I am not Aunt Gertrude,
 and I am doing my  best.
        DON'T tell me, "It could be
worse." Yes, it could be, but I
don't need to be reminded.
        DON'T decide what I am
capable of doing. ________ doesn't
affect the brain. Allow me to
decide what activitties I can participate in.
There may be times I might make the wrong decision,
and if I do, I'll know it soon enough.
        DON'T be upset that you can
not ease my pain. It won't do any good
for both of us to be , miserable
        DON'T ask me how I feel
unless you really want to know.
You may hear a lot more than you are
 prepared to listen to.
DON'T assume because I did a certain activity
yesterday that I can do it today._______ is everchanging.
        DON'T tell me about the latest fad "cure."
I want to be cured more than anything,
and if there is a legitimate cure out there?
my doctor will let me know.
        DO learn everything you can about the disease.
The more you know, the better equipped you
will be to know what to expect.
        DO realize I am angry and frustrated
with the disease, not with you .
        DO let me know you are available to help
me when I ask. I'11 be grateful.
        DO offer me lots of hugs and encouragement.
        DO understand why I cancel plans at the last minute.
 I never know from one day to the next how I will feel.
 __________ is like that.
        DO continue to invite me to all the activities.
Just because I am not able to bike ride along with
 the gang does not mean I can't meet you for the
picnic at the end of the trail. Please let me decide.......