Genene

I am early stage PD or MSA and therefore I took part in a research scan that
is apparently based on suggestions arising out of recent research that the
loss of brain cells seen in Parkinsonian disorders is accompanied by
inflammation and that this may contribute to the progression of the disease.
As I said before, the literature describing the scans states that if this is
the case, anti-inflammatory drugs such as aspirin might help in the future
to protect patients with Parkinson's diseases and related disorders.

At the MRC Cyclotron Unit of a London hospital, using PET scanning with a
radiotracer called PK11195, researchers detect the presence of brain
inflammation. They have learned what patterns of inflammation are typical
for PD and MSA, and on this basis they can say what appears more or less
likely; also PD gives a weaker signal, MSA a stronger one. The researchers
might be annoyed at me putting it in these terms, as it's all couched in
statistical-speak and is very complex, but that's how I understand it. The
extent of inflammation is likely to have major prognostic implications as it
will reflect disease severity, and in future will act as a guide as to
whether anti-inflammatory and other protective treatments are effective. It
must be borne in mind that the scans are experimental, and the objective of
the project is to determine how useful the tool is. Also, not enough brains
have been scanned yet - especially healthy ones - to give a sound
statistical basis for comparison. So don't rush off and overdose on
aspirin/ibuprofen just yet.