Jeanne wrote:
> Hey everyone...did ya all hear that Arvid Carlsson, a Parkinson's disease
> scientist from Sweden, won the Nobel Prize in Medicine?  He was one of three
> (the other two were for some other aspect - I believe depression) who won!
> YEAH!
>
> Jeanne Lee-Rosner
> PDF-Chicago

Hi All,
There is a picture of Arvid Carlsson on this site...
http://www.discovery.com/news/briefs/20001009/hu_ap_nobel.html

Three Share Nobel Prize in Medicine - Associated Press, Copyright 2000
Oct. 9, 2000 — A Swede and two U.S. researchers won the Nobel Prize in
medicine Monday for discoveries about how messages are transmitted
between brain cells, work that has paid off for treating Parkinson's
disease and depression.

Arvid Carlsson, Paul Greengard and Eric Kandel will share $915,000
prize for their pioneering discoveries concerning one way brain cells
send messages to each other, called "slow synaptic transmission."

These discoveries have been crucial for understanding how the brain
normally works. In addition, the work laid the groundwork for developing
the standard treatment for Parkinson's disease and contributed to the
development of a class of antidepressants that includes Prozac,
the Nobel Assembly at Karolinska Institute said.

Carlsson, 77, is with the University of Goteborg in Sweden, Greengard, 74,
is with Rockefeller University in New York and Kandel, 70, is an
Austrian-born U.S. citizen with Columbia University in New York.

The medicine prize was the first announced in a week of awards.
The winners of the prizes for physics and chemistry will be announced
Tuesday and for economics — the only one not established in Nobel's
will — on Wednesday in Stockholm.
The awards culminate Friday with the coveted peace prize in Oslo, Norway.
The date for the literature prize, also announced in Stockholm, has not
yet been set.
Carlsson's studies during the late 1950s led to the development of the
drug L-dopa, still the most important treatment for Parkinson's disease,
the committee said.
His research also shed light on how other drugs work, especially
antipsychotic drugs used against schizophrenia.
Carlsson's work has contributed strongly to the development of a
generation of anti-depression drugs called SSRIs (selective serotonin
reuptake inhibitors), which includes Prozac, the Nobel committee said.

"The discoveries of Arvid Carlsson have had great importance for the
treatment of depression, which is one of our most common diseases," the
citation said.

Greengard was awarded for showing how brain cells respond to dopamine
and other chemical messengers.

Kandel was cited for his research on the biology of memory, showing the
importance of changes in the synapse, the place where chemical messages
pass from one brain cell to another.

Tim Bliss, head of neuroscience at the National Institute for Medical
Research in London, said Kandel's work — ongoing since the 1960s — could
someday lead to new treatments for Alzheimer's disease and other
conditions involving memory loss.