Vol. 57 No. 10, October 2000

Letters to the Editor

Letter

In Reply

Weighing the Neurological Complexities of Long-term Levodopa Use

I was interested to see the spirited controversy about levodopa "toxicity"
in the March issue of the ARCHIVES glad to see the care with which
arguments were marshaled on both sides, glad, above all, to see the matter
out in the open.

When I started giving levodopa to my own patients more than 30 years ago,
it became clear that pathological sensitivities and imbalances of all sorts
could develop very rapidlythis was especially so in patients with
postencephalitic parkinsonism, but they also developed, if more slowly, in
patients with idiopathic Parkinson disease.

When I tried to draw attention to these effects - commonly dismissed as
"side effects" - and to sound a cautious note, there were only reactions of
violent disagreement.1 It seemed that rational discussion was scarcely
possible at the time.

Since the neurological complexities of long-term levodopa treatment are now
widely conceded - complexities that may be attenuated but not prevented by
concurrent therapy with dopamine receptor agonists, COMT inhibitors, etc -
the problems of decision have become sharpened and focused.

I would certainly want to be put on levodopa myself, if I became
parkinsonian, because nothing else can give comparable benefit. I would
want this even knowing that its effects would sooner or later decline and
be compromised, and that it might accelerate the disease process or cause
neuronal death. The immediate benefit, for me, would outweigh the
incalculable future. But others might feel very differently.

I think these "economic" (and highly individual) aspects of the decision of
when to treat, and how to treat, are an integral part of the issue, and
need to be emphasized too.

Oliver Sacks, MD
2 Horatio St, 3G
New York, NY 10014

1. Sacks OW, Messeloff CR, Schwartz WF.
Long-term effects of levodopa in the severely disabled patient.
JAMA. 1970;213:2270. MEDLINE

In reply

Dr Sacks' remarks remind us that indeed, the more things change, the more
they remain the same; it is interesting to observe how medical
controversies such as the levodopa toxicity debate persist in the face of
significant progress in the management of Parkinson disease.

It is true that levodopa's adverse effects "may be attenuated but not
prevented by concurrent therapy" with adjunctive medications; however, we
should not permit the perfect to be the enemy of the good. A reduction in
the frequency and severity of motor fluctuations and dyskinesia can have a
dramatic impact on the quality of life.

Dr Sacks raises an important issue that often is neglected in discussions
of Parkinson managementthe importance of making the patient an integral
partner in decision-making about levodopa administration.

Living well with chronic illness requires an active, involved patient.

Our well-intentioned efforts to better understand the risks and benefits of
levodopa therapy often eclipse our acknowledgment of the personal nature of
decision-making in health care.

Although the issues of Parkinson management are complex, we need to find
better ways of educating and informing our patients in order to enhance
their participation in goal-setting and decision-making.

While Dr Sacks would personally choose levodopa therapy for himself, there
are patients who would choose significant bradykinesia and rigidity over
fluctuations and dyskinesia.

Clinical guidelines notwithstanding, one size does not fit all in the
management of Parkinson disease.

Lisa M. Shulman, MD
425 8th Street NW #645
Washington, DC 20004
(e-mail: [log in to unmask])

2000 American Medical Association. All rights reserved.
http://archneur.ama-assn.org/issues/v57n10/ffull/nlt1000-1.html

janet paterson
53 now / 44 dx cd / 43 onset cd / 41 dx pd / 37 onset pd
TEL: 613 256 8340 URL: http://www.geocities.com/janet313/
EMAIL: [log in to unmask] SMAIL: PO Box 171 Almonte Ontario K0A 1A0 Canada