Unfortunately Joao,
In reading the History of the United States by about
15 different authors during my career, the only thing
I found consistent was:
If the U.S. Government ,(no matter who's in office)
can find a way to tax it, it becomes legal.  If they
can't slap a tax on it, you are out of luck!
As you all know, this is IMOPO!