Cannabis 'as addictive as cocaine'

Monday, 16 October, 2000, 16:30 GMT 17:30 UK - Cannabis may be as addictive
as hard drugs such as heroin and cocaine, say US scientists.

The finding comes as pressure grows in the UK for the drug to be legalised.

The chief scientist at the UK's Royal Pharmaceutical Society (RPS) has also
predicted that cannabis will be licensed for medical use within two years.

In the US experiments, a team from the National Institute on Drug Abuse
trained four squirrel monkeys to give themselves shots of intravenous
cocaine supplied through a catheter.

The animals did this by pressing a lever 10 times after a green light was
illuminated in their isolation chamber.

Monkey lever

When saline was substituted for the cocaine, the monkeys stopped pressing
the lever.

But when the salt solution was swapped for tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) - the
active ingredient in cannabis - they quickly started activating the lever
again.

In a typical one-hour session, they gave themselves 30 shots of THC - the
equivalent in body size to an adult human smoking a marijuana cigarette.

The researchers also showed that the monkeys' compulsion for THC was
reduced when they were given a second drug that blocks receptors on the
cannabinoid receptors in the brain.

Lead researcher Dr Steven Goldberg told BBC News Online: "We compared the
intensity of behaviour we that got with THC with the intensity of behaviour
we got under exactly the same conditions with cocaine in another group of
monkeys.

"We found the levels of behaviour were identical in the two groups of animals.

"So basically this is the first clear demonstration that the active
ingredient in marijuana will maintain drug taking behaviour in experimental
animals, and it indicates - from a pre-clinical standpoint - that it has
the same potential for abuse that other drugs such as heroin and cocaine do."

Dr Goldberg admitted that his research could not take into account the
social factors that would inevitably come into play when assessing the
potential for abuse of cannabis among human users.

However, Dr Lester Grinspoon, a Harvard Medical School emeritus professor
of psychiatry, dismissed the idea that the study proved that cannabis was
addictive.

He said: " "This drug is not addicting. Clinical experience says that."

Medical use

Professor Tony Moffat, chief scientist with the UK's RPS, said large scale
clinical trials were currently taking place to test the medical benefit of
cannabis.

He said: "I imagine that the results of those will show that cannabis does
have therapeutic benefit for the treatment of pain and spasms in multiple
sclerosis.

"Should that be the case then I believe that governments across the world
will change their minds and make the use of cannabis for medicinal use
legalised."

Professor Moffat said the trials were designed to ascertain the right dose
for patients to take so that the beneficial effects outweighed the possible
side effects.

UK Prime Minister Tony Blair has ruled out legalising cannabis for social use.

Related to this story:
Cannabis: The debate (21 Mar 00 | Medical notes)
Cannabis 'more harmful than tobacco' (21 Mar 00 | Health)
Cannabis 'is difficult to give up' (06 Jul 00 | Health)
Cannabis grown for medical tests (05 Jan 99 | Health)
Cannabis 'increases heart attack risk' (03 Mar 00 | Health)
Cannabis 'helps MS sufferers' (02 Mar 00 | Health)
Cannabis chemicals tackle tumours (01 Mar 00 | Health)

Internet links:
Nature Neuroscience
National Institute on Drug Abuse
Royal Pharmaceutical Society
UK Cannabis Internet Activists

BBC News Online: Health
http://news.bbc.co.uk/low/english/health/newsid_974000/974449.stm

janet paterson
53 now / 44 dx cd / 43 onset cd / 41 dx pd / 37 onset pd
TEL: 613 256 8340 URL: http://www.geocities.com/janet313/
EMAIL: [log in to unmask] SMAIL: PO Box 171 Almonte Ontario K0A 1A0 Canada