At 08:09 AM 10/15/2000 -0700, you wrote:

>Did you read the tribute to retiring Senator Connie Mack? (Congressional
>Record Friday Oct. 13 - Senate)
>http://thomas.loc.gov/r106/r106s13oc0.html
>
>Cheers ............. murray

Yes Murray,
I'm going to post it here for those who can't reach it by the Web.
Senator Mack has done a wonderful job for all of us, not just
for Floridians, and he will be missed.   But I'm happy that he decided
to take some time for himself and his family before it's too late.
just me,
Marjorie

RETIREMENT OF SENATOR CONNIE MACK (Senate - October 13, 2000)
[Page: S10584]  GPO's PDF
Ms. SNOWE. Mr. President, I rise today to pay tribute to a friend and an
outstanding public servant who is retiring from the United States Senate
this year after 18 years in public service, Senator Connie Mack of Florida.
I have had the privilege of serving with Senator Mack in both houses of
Congress. And I know him as a man deeply committed to the finest ideals of
public service, as well as the beliefs he so passionately holds.
Perhaps no one believes more fervently in the inherent potential of each
and every individual than Senator Mack. For him, it is not government that
creates wealth or success or personal fulfillment. It is the American
people. To give people opportunity--to give them the skills they need to
compete and reach their greatest potential--is for Senator Mack perhaps the
greatest end that government can serve.
I have also known Senator Mack as a staunch proponent of fiscal
responsibility, back to the days when it often seemed that talk of balanced
budgets was only slightly more fashionable than actually balancing the
budget. I have to believe he must share my sense of wonder as to how far
we've come, and it is thanks in no small part to the efforts of Senator
Mack and those like him who have fought for years to make the current
surpluses a reality.
Senator Mack has been a strong voice for the Sunshine State in the United
States Senate. Most recently, his tireless efforts in helping to shepherd
through the Senate the historic Everglades restoration plan, the Restoring
the Everglades, an American Legacy Act, leaves a positive and lasting mark
on Florida and one of our nation's true natural treasures that will be
appreciated for generations to come.
One could argue, however, that Senator Mack has pursued no other goal with
a higher degree of dogged determination than increasing our federal
investment in medical research. He rightly sees this issue as a matter of
national importance, knowing no political, social, financial, or racial
boundaries.
He recognizes that disease touches every American family. Certainly, it has
had a profound impact on his own family, including his wife, daughter,
brother, and both parents--as well as affecting his own life.
Characteristically, Senator Mack and his wife, Priscilla, who is a
courageous breast cancer survivor, met these challenges first with courage
and dignity, and then with an unyielding determination to do something
about them.
Both have been extremely active in spreading the word on the importance of
early detection. As co-Chair of the bipartisan Senate Cancer Coalition,
Senator Mack has provided outstanding leadership on matters relating to our
fight against cancer, and in particular I have been honored to work with
Senator Mack on providing greater funding for breast cancer research.
The depth of Senator Mack's concern when it comes to this dread disease
cannot truly be measured. Certainly, having worked on this issue throughout
my tenure in Congress, I was honored and thankful for Senator Mack's
participation in a breast cancer hearing, or `breast cancer summit', we
convened in 1996, but I was not surprised that he would be there to
contribute his wisdom and his support.
 From that summit came legislation to establish a national data bank of
information on clinical trials involving experimental treatments for
serious or life-threatening diseases. It also mandated that a toll-free
number be instituted for patients, doctors and others to access this
information.
Senator Mack has literally been instrumental in securing increased funding
for medical research in general, and indeed for the fiscal year 2000 fought
for the inclusion of a $2.3 billion increase for the National Institutes of
Health. And he has rightfully called for funding to NIH to be doubled from
$12.75 billion to over $25 billion over the next five years.
Finally, Mr. President, to quote a piece from the St. Petersburg Times from
last year, `the Senate will lose one of its nicest members.' And that is
absolutely true. Senator Mack has strongly held beliefs on the issues, let
there be no doubt.
But he has always understood the fine but certain distinction between
disagreeing and being disagreeable. He has been a credit to the Senate, to
Florida, to the nation, and to his family. I wish him well as he returns to
his beloved state and embarks on a new chapter in his life--one that I hope
will be filled with happiness and good health for him and his wife,
Priscilla. He will be missed by all those fortunate enough to have worked
with him.