Date sent:              Thu, 19 Oct 2000 09:45:50 -0400
Send reply to:          Parkinson's Information Exchange Network <[log in to unmask]>
From:                   "William P. Taggart" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Anithistamines?
To:                     [log in to unmask]

> Antihistamines?
>
> I understand antihistamines create relief from allergies by supressing
> the immune system.  Does this make your system less protective while
> you're on antihistamines?  Does it make your cells be more exposed to
> free radicals, for instance?
>
> Bill

The antihistamines do *not* "suppress the immune system".  They
block the action of histamine, a substance which is released during
allergic-like reactions, and which is responsible for the symptoms of
"allergy".  Antihistamines are used for *symptomatic* relief only;
they may not influence the course of the underlying disease process
one way or the other.  Some recent studies suggest that they may
*prolong* the duration of such mild virus illnesses such as colds, this
by "drying up" the mucous membranes, but this is not due to an effect
on the immune system.

The stuff about "free radicals" is highly questionable.  It is
emphasized by commercial entities which try to *sell* you stuff to
deal with "free radicals".  Free radicals, although theoretically of some
interest, have never been shown to have any influence on *real*
disease.  To me, whenever I see something being touted as treating
"free radicals", I suspect quackery.

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S., P. C.
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, California  94704-2636
Telephone:  510-849-2555   FAX:  510-849-2557
WWW:  http://www.dovecom.com/rafink/

mailto:[log in to unmask]

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"