I've been using Melatonin for some six years, and I think it's
wonderful.  I learned about Melatonin from Health Canada (our FDA).
Melatonin was an over-the-counter item before.  Then Health Canada found
out that certain claims were being made about the product and it
actually appeared to do what was claimed (i.e. help you sleep better)

In their view that meant Melatonin should be reclassified as a drug and
be available on prescription only.
Fortunately it is still widely available under the counter - or so I
understand.

I cut tablets (3.0 mg) into quarters.  The full 3 mg makes me sleep
longer than I care for.

--
Frans van Duinen
     (416) 652-8580