At 09:07 AM 10/16/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>Marjorie:
>     I found that for my meds, Mirapex and Amantadine, that Merck-Medco was
>cheaper than AARP.  At least that was about a year ago.
>Ginny

Thanks Ginny!
For some reason I get along just fine with regular old 25/100 Sinemet.
I feel very fortunate since for 92¢ a day I can control my PD.

I found this yesterday and I'm going to repost it.
It was something janet paterson had posted to the list and
I think it might just have something to do with why I can get along
with 4 Sinemets per day.
I have been on ACE Inhibitors for over 10 years. (Thanks, janet)

just me,
Marjorie
*****************************************************************************************************************************************************

The angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor, perindopril,
modifies the clinical features of Parkinson's disease.

BACKGROUND: Animal studies have demonstrated an interaction within the
striatum between the angiotensin and dopaminergic systems.
In rats, the angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor, perindopril,
crosses the blood brain barrier and increases striatal dopamine synthesis
and release.
In humans, angiotensin type 1 receptors have been found on dopaminergic
neurons in the substantia nigra and striatum.
In Parkinson's disease, there is a marked reduction of these receptors
associated with the nigrostriatal dopaminergic neuron loss.

AIMS: We performed a double blind placebo controlled crossover pilot study
in seven patients to investigate the effect of the ACE inhibitor,
perindopril on the clinical features of moderately severe Parkinson's disease.

RESULTS: After a four week treatment period with perindopril, patients had
a faster onset in their motor response to L-dopa and a reduction in 'on
phase' peak dyskinesia, p=0.021 and p=0.014 respectively.
Patients also reported more 'on' periods during their waking day in their
movement diary, p=0.007.
Perindopril was well tolerated without any significant postural hypotension
or renal dysfunction.

CONCLUSIONS: These results suggest that ACE inhibitors such as perindopril
may have a place in the management of motor fluctuations and dyskinesia in
Parkinson's disease and justify further study.

Aust N Z J Med 2000 Feb;30(1):48-53
Reardon KA, Mendelsohn FA, Chai SY, Horne MK
Neurosciences Department, Monash Medical Centre, Melbourne, Vic.
PMID: 10800878

janet paterson
53 now / 44 dx cd / 43 onset cd / 41 dx pd / 37 onset pd
tel: 613 256 8340 url: "http://www.geocities.com/janet313/"
email: "[log in to unmask]" smail: PO Box 171 Almonte Ontario K0A 1A0 Canada