--------------------------
Urban Legend Search Engine
--------------------------

One of my favorite sites on the Net is the San Fernando Valley
Folklore Society's Urban Legends Reference Pages at

<A HREF="http://www.snopes.com/">
http://www.snopes.com/ </A>.

Created and maintained by the husband-and-wife team of Barbara and
David Mikkelson, Snopes.com is one of the two best urban-legend-
debunking sites on the Net.  The other is David Emery's Urban Legends
and Folklore site at

<A HREF="http://urbanlegends.about.com/science/urbanlegends/">
http://urbanlegends.about.com/science/urbanlegends/ </A>.

You already know about both of these sites; we've talked about them
a squillion times over the past five years.  But there is one thing I
haven't told you about one of these sites.  In fact, what I am about
to tell you is one of my best-kept secrets: Snopes.com has a search
engine ... for urban legends!

When someone forwards me an email asking if its contents are true, I
usually just hop on over to

<A HREF="http://www.snopes.com/info/search/search.htm">
http://www.snopes.com/info/search/search.htm </A>

and type in a few keywords from the email in question.  Up pops an
article or two that either debunks or "bunks" the email in question.
I then cut-and-paste the Web page address (see below) of the
appropriate Snopes.com article and include it in my reply.  The person
who forwarded me the urban legend thinks I am an urban legend genius,
and all I had to do was type a word or two into a search engine.

And, now that you know about the Snopes.com search engine, you too can
become an urban legend guru or gurette.  [First "bunks," now
"gurette."  Maybe I should reconsider my decision not to subscribe to
the Oxford English Dictionary!]  :)

   The Internet Tourbus - U.S. Library of Congress ISSN #1094-2238
      Subscribe, Signoff, Archives, Free Stuff and More at the
              Tourbus Website - http://www.TOURBUS.com

janet paterson
53 now / 44 dx cd / 43 onset cd / 41 dx pd / 37 onset pd
TEL: 613 256 8340 URL: http://www.geocities.com/janet313/
EMAIL: [log in to unmask] SMAIL: PO Box 171 Almonte Ontario K0A 1A0 Canada