I hate it when only specific parts of articles are picked and quoted.
In my morning newspaper there is ,in the same previously quoted article , a
statement which
would certainly make me take it with a grain of salt.
Since our PD is not chemically induced and since the brains of monkeys are not
the same as humans, this make persons grasping for straws only hope for
something
which ,more than likely will never happen.  I think this is cruel to
publish such hopeful
things to the public, and I think researchers only do it to try to get more
research money.
They should have held this article until it went to the FDA and was
approved by them
for testing.

I quote from the same article:
Dr. Mark Tuszynski, head of a brain-disorder research center at the University
of California at San Diego, said the experiment in monkeys was "fascinating".
He said, however, that it is not known whether the brain cells affected by
the chemically
induced Parkinson's in monkeys are precisely the same as those affected by
the actual
disease in humans.

It continues:
Kordower said a separate safety study is under way in monkeys, and when
that is
completed in about six months an application for human clinical trials will
be prepared
for presentation to the Food and Drug Administration.

If all of the studies go smoothly, said Kordower, the gene therapy could be
ready for
human testing in three to five years.