     Post: 052855
     Date: 1998/12/01
     Subj: Getting REAL PD Facts / sugar coating / visibility

     hi laurie and john,

     >  On 1998/12/01, john wrote:
     >> On 1998/11/30, laurie wrote:
     >> But if he had ONLY been shown the worst thing that
     >> could happen to him as a person with MS I am afraid
     >> that he might have ended it all right there.
     >  Exactly my point.
     >> It is always good to know the most and the least.
     >> That is NOT sugar coating, THAT is the truth.
     >  Indeed. AND it is of course vital that we have all the
     >  information, because that empowers us! It's only when
     >  we have all the facts that we can make good decisions
     >  about the future.

     when i was diagnosed 10 years ago
     i knew zilch about pd
     [john - that's canadian for nada]

     due to that ignorance
     my reaction to the words of the diagnosis
     was sheer terror

     i had images of total physical helplessness
     being a prisoner inside my body

     i told my sister that night
     that when i got to the point where i couldn't 'look after myself'
     i would commit suicide

     looking back on those thoughts and feelings now
     is like seeing me in an scratchy old 'silent movie'

     ten years later
     my life has changed radically
     only part of that is due to my health circumstances
     most of it is because my priorities have changed radically

     they changed because
     i realized i had been given a 'wake-up call'

     my then neuro didn't try to sugar-coat anything
     but he did describe the med options and the slow progress
     and refuted the idea that i had been given an instant death sentence

     so what was i to do?
     worry myself into a self-constructed prison of fear
     over what might happen to me
     in a year?
     in ten years?
     in thirty years?
     which one? or all of the above?

     i could be hit by a truck tomorrow
     and what good would all that worry and fear about pd
     [or about anything else]
     have done me?

     none at all
     and what's worse
     it would have soured me to
     whatever gifts life had offered me
     in the interim

     i don't advocate hiding one's head in the sand
     that's deliberate ignorance
     and is a form of evil
     [imho]

     i do advocate getting all the information possible
     before coming to any conclusions

     but i cannot predict the future
     that's been made pretty clear to me over the past 20 years

     i now admit freely
     that i can barely figure out what's likely to happen next month

     > Another point that I wanted to make by my comment is that
     > it is very important to make sure that there are some kind
     > of protective net to catch the newly diagnosed person. Some
     > way to catch that person before (s)he falls into that first
     > depression, or when (s)he just has reached it.

     receiving news
     about a chronic illness
     is something that has to be grieved
     it has to be worked through as part of the acceptance process

     maybe that terror that i felt
     was a catalyst to my later enlightenment?

     the lack of knowledge and sensitivity [ = fear?] displayed by some
medicos
     is only a reflection of the lack of pd knowledge in society
     which is partly a reflection of our parkie forebears'
     'hiding in the closet' of shame and embarassment
     which may have been a reflection of the times

     there are a whole lot of things
     being talked about in public these days
     that were 'hushed up' just ten and twenty years ago

     when i was diagnosed 10 years ago
     selegiline was the greatest thing since sliced bread
     comt inhibitors and other new meds didn't exist
     surgery was extremely rare

     the rate of progress in research and options
     seems to be increasing exponentially;
     i can't help myself,
     i feel hopeful about pd's medical future

     > That is a completely different question, though: How shall
     > we make the neuros realize that a newly diagnosed person
     > needs somebody to talk to, who can give support? And, even
     > if the doctor understands that, he often doesn't inform the
     > patient about support groups.

     i'm not sure if this is a completely different question
     i think the general societal ignorance about pd
     is implicated here

     which is all
     part and parcel of our
     complaining about being 'invisible'

     i concur heartily with dennis' idea of 'show and tell'
     bring it all out into the open
     the good and the bad
     the reality

     which is exactly what has just started to happen
     in the past few years / months / days

     back to my 'silent movie' analogy:

     learning about pd in general
     and finding this forum in particular
     were key components of the awe-inspiring jaw-dropping upgrade
     to full-blazing-panoramic-technicolour-surround-sound extravaganza
     that i now find myself in

     action!

     your cyber-sib

     janet

                             | prev | index | next |

http://www.geocities.com/janet313/wordspie/199812/052855.html

janet paterson
53 now / 44 dx cd / 43 onset cd / 41 dx pd / 37 onset pd
TEL: 613 256 8340 URL: http://www.geocities.com/janet313/
EMAIL: [log in to unmask] SMAIL: PO Box 171 Almonte Ontario K0A 1A0 Canada