Marjorie - I read with interest about your blue jays and the squirrels.
Yesterday, I went out to feed the birds some old bread (Since I live
alone, one loaf of bread spoils before i can use it up).  Anyway, the
neighbor's cats were out there, and the blue jays attacked them.  Three
birds and three cats.  You should have seen the hullabaloo.
The original mother cat, belonged to my mother, but one day she tripped
and fell over her and got so bruised she threw her out.  The neighbor
took her over.  We call her Mama.  She had a litter and the neighbors
found homes for all but one which they loved anyway.
They asked me if it was a boy or a girl cat and I said it has to be a
girl.  So they named her Suzie.  Three weeks later, Suzie grew equipment,
but it was too late because he/she was used to the name ( a boy named
Sue).  Then she had another litter and this time one of the cats had no
tail, so they kept him and he is called Bear.
He is such a lover and talks to me and sleeps on the top of my car.
All three of them are black, with not a speck of white anywhere.  Every
Halloween, the neighbors keep them inside the house, just in case.
Anyway, they were hilarious when the blue jays attacked.  Believe me, I
stayed out of the way. There was a woodpecker the other day, who started
pecking and pecking and I went out to look and he was sharpening his beak
on the other neighbor's metal carport cover.
I know it was a male because his colors were so vibrant.  Reminds
me of our male humans.  So great, so virile and so  well, just so.
Also, right after a rain three days ago, I looked out and there had to be
50 black birds in the yard (my yard is 60 x 190) and some were drinking
out of the bird bath and some were feasting on the bugs that rose to the
top of the ground after the rain,.  I enjoy watching my animals and foul.
 They bring me an extra special pleasure and reminds me that God is good.
 Jo Ann