Hi all

        On Sat, 28 Oct 2000, the digest contained:

> Date:    Fri, 27 Oct 2000 18:51:16 -0400
> From:    "Marjorie L. Moorefield" <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Just "peeking in" for a moment to say "hi" ...
> >         All  of my tremors tend to get worse after any kind of stress:
> >      physical (like working around the yard), emotional (like  getting
> >      into  an  argument),  and  even mental (like trying to solve some
> >      computer programming problem). But,  these  leg  tremors  started
> >      worrying  me  because  --  at rare times -- I feel almost like my
> >      legs won't support my weight.  And, I stand a  lot  in  the  work
> >      that I do.
> Have you checked into DBS?  I'm wondering if that would help you
> eliminate those horrid leg tremors? ...

        Actually,  I  just  answered  this question in an off-list re-
     sponse.  I hope you don't mind a little cut-and-paste ...

        My  current  neurologist and I started talking about this from
     almost my first appointment.  In trying to find out what  I  knew
     about  (I  told  him  I use the 'Net frequently), we talked about
     symptoms, drugs, and such.

        I think that I may have actually brought up the subject.  And,
     from the beginning we both agree -- the  "stimulation"  technique
     would  be *very much* better all around than the "cutting part of
     the brain out" technique.  I usually ask if he (the  doctor)  has
     heard  of anything new and promising out there and we usually end
     the discussion by talking about DBS as a possibility.

        My  neurologist is of the opinion that -- as long as the drugs
     minimize the symptoms well enough to continue being productive --
     cutting  my  skull  open,  inserting  probes in my brain, running
     wires down my neck, to a control box implanted in my chest should
     be used almost as a last resort.

        There  is  even a hospital here in the area that has a Parkin-
     son's unit.  And they are supposed to be  known around the  world
     for  performing this procedure and doing it very well with a high
     success rate.

        ...  so,  yes, I am considering it.  But, again, I consider it
     as something to try when nothing else works.

        An  interesting side note here: Several years ago, my wife and
     I were watching a T.V. news program.  It had a  "human  interest"
     story  on  a  new operation to help give new life to PD patients.
     It showed an elderly gentleman sitting down at  a  kitchen  table
     while  his  wife  was  finishing the preparation of their dinner.
     The fellow had PD which they illustrated by having him try to eat
     a  fork  full of peas (why do they always use peas for this demo?
     :-) ) which he had a great deal of trouble doing.  Then, he pulls
     out  a  little  box, places it on his chest, activates a control,
     and he then has no problem eating the peas or any other  part  of
     his dinner.

        I've  always had hand tremors all my life.  So, I remember the
     question my wife asked immediately after the  news  segment:   Do
     you think that disease is what causes your shaking?

        It was a case of "De ja vu" in reverse, I think.

Bill--
  ...who defines "Lottery" as a tax on people who are bad at math.

.. William A. Parrette ...... 7177 Heritage Drive ....+- //\ -(42?)- /\\ +
.. [log in to unmask] .............. Westchester ............| || * \ . . / * |||
.. [log in to unmask] ......... OH 45069-4012 ..........|  \\____\X/____// |
.. [log in to unmask] ..... 513/779-0780 ...........|   / *  /O\  * \  |