----- Oorspronkelijk bericht -----
Van: "Robert A. Fink, M. D." <[log in to unmask]>
Aan: <[log in to unmask]>
Verzonden: donderdag 26 oktober 2000 23:49
Onderwerp: Re: Drooling drugs

>> Botox for drooling?  I never heard of it.  Botox is good for relief of
muscle tightness/spasm, but not for drooling so far as I know. Best, Bob <<

O'Sullivan JD, Bhatia KP, Lees AJ.
Botulinum toxin A as treatment for drooling saliva in PD.
Neurology. 2000 Aug 22;55(4):606-7. No abstract available.
PMID: 10953215

Pal PK, Calne DB, Calne S, Tsui JK.
Neurodegenerative Disorders Centre, UBC Hospital, Vancouver, BC, Canada.
Botulinum toxin A as treatment for drooling saliva in PD.
Neurology. 2000 Jan 11;54(1):244-7.
PMID: 10636161

The authors evaluated intraparotid injections of botulinum toxin A in
reducing
salivary secretions and drooling in nine patients with PD. There was a
marked
objective reduction in secretion, and two thirds of the patients had
subjective
improvement in drooling. No side effects were observed. The authors conclude
that botulinum toxin A promises to be a simple and effective treatment for
the
common problem of drooling saliva in chronic neurologic disease.

Jost WH.
Treatment of drooling in Parkinson's disease with botulinum toxin.
Mov Disord. 1999 Nov;14(6):1057. No abstract available.
PMID: 10584695