Hi Jeannette,
I'm really glad to hear you had a bone scan, it's one of the
things I always try to mention to my audiences.

Tums is a good, clean calcium source -- some supplements
have been found to be contaminated with lead or other
substances, so that's a good point. And 1500 mg/day is
probably about the right amount. I would only say that the
body does not appear to absorb more than a 500-mg tablet can
supply, so it would be better to take three 500-mg tablets
daily. There is difference of opinion as to whether to take
with or without food, as calcium carbonate is an antacid.
Most think it's best to take these with meals. I'm not
convinced of that, because acid is needed for iron and B12
absorption, and an antacid decreases the amount of stomach
acid present. Long-term use of calcium carbonate has been
found to lead to B12 deficiencies in older adults who
produce less stomach acid.

An even better calcium supplement in my opinion is calcium
citrate, as it is better absorbed. Tablets usually provide
200-300 mg calcium, so you'd need to take them more
frequently; however, they are not an antacid, so you can
take with or without food. Also, they are much better
absorbed than calcium carbonate.

Another good calcium source is calcium-fortified orange
juice; the calcium here is very well absorbed also.

Best regards,
Kathrynne

--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD
Author: "Eat well, stay well with Parkinson's disease"
"Constipation and Parkinson's" --  audiocassette & guidebook
"Guidelines for Medical Nutrition Therapy for Parkinson's
disease"
     & Risk Assessment Tools
"Risk for malnutrition and bone fracture in Parkinson's
disease,"
     J Nutr Elderly. V18:3;1999.
http://www.nutritionucanlivewith.com/