Dear friends and family,

We went to the Washington Zoo yesterday...it was fun and yet
there was alot of saddness...the Zoo personnel decorated for
Halloween for the kids and there were scarecrows and tombstones
everywhere...as we realized the tombstones had names on them and
they were names of animal species, we recognized that they were
names of animals who were now extinct. As I watched the Buffalo,
the Gorilla family and the Cheeta and read about the Panda coming
in December I was deeply moved. They are spectacular animals, one
of God's greatest gifts to man and we have really made poor stewards.

As we were leaving the Zoo, I saw an Orangutan stick his head out
of a window in the Great Ape House...he had a large black plastic bucket
on his head and was wearing it like a crown.

Gail...who feels like each time we write an animal name we should
capitalize the word out of respect for them.

Orangutans Edging Closer to Brink of Extinction

Willie Smits is a man on a mission. He has just completed a
cross-country speaking tour in the United States, and he has one
message: It's now or never when it comes to orangutan conservation.
A forestry scientist from the Netherlands, Smits emigrated to Indonesia
20 years ago to help the country grow trees. Today he runs the world's
largest orangutan rehabilitation center and is in the forefront of a
campaign to save the species in the wild. He faces great odds.
Orangutans once ranged throughout Southeast Asia. Today they can be
found only on the Indonesian islands of Borneo and Sumatra. Scientists
estimate that in the last 10 years their numbers have been reduced by up
to 50 percent, to perhaps as few as 13,000 living in the wild.

http://www.ngnews.com/news/2000/10/10242000/orangutans_3202.asp