On 27 Oct 2000, at 6:42, Linda J Herman wrote:

> Dear list members,
>
> Can anyone tell me how many Udall Research Centers are currently being
> funded by the NIH?
> Thanks,
> Linda

Hi Linda and All,
This is Tough ....  for sure 11....

NINDS Awards Almost $24 Million to Support Parkinson's Disease Research
Centers of Excellence
Friday, December 04, 1998
Three top university hospitals will receive a total of almost $24 million from
the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS) to
advance understanding of Parkinson's disease and related movement disorders.
Investigators at Emory University, Massachusetts General Hospital,
and The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine will spend the
next five years unraveling the cause or causes of Parkinson's disease and
seeking new ways to diagnose and treat it. They will also provide
state-of-the-art, multidisciplinary training for young scientists preparing for
research careers investigating Parkinson's disease and related
neurodegenerative disorders.

NINDS to Support Eight New Parkinson's Disease Research Centers of Excellence
Tuesday, September 28, 1999
As part of its efforts to defeat Parkinson's disease, the National Institute of
Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS) today announced plans to award
new grants to eight top universities. The new awards will raise to eleven the
number of Parkinson's Disease Research Centers of Excellence the Institute
funds and represent a total commitment of $49 million to be spent over the
next 5 years. Added to the $24 million committed to three such centers in
September of 1998, this brings total Institute funding for the Parkinson's
Disease Research Centers of Excellence program to $73 million.
http://www.ninds.nih.gov/news_and_events/archive.htm

This is old...
Disease Funding & NIH Priority Setting
This document provides information on NIH funding priorities and levels.
http://www.voiceforjoanie.org/homepages/thompson/Funding.html

A Bit of History
http://www.kingwoodcable.com/martone/cruel.htm

Parkinson's Disease Professional Directory
http://www.pdphysicians.com
http://www.pdphysicians.com/base/resources/

Centers of Excellence
Supported by and Affiliated with
The National Parkinson Foundation

The National Parkinson Foundation is one of the largest research institutes,
staffed by world class researchers in Parkinson's and related neurological
disorders such as Alzheimer's, Multiple Sclerosis, Huntington's, etc.
It should be noted that we support research not only in our own
laboratories, but that we give numerous research grants to various
research institutions in all parts of the world.

We have created the concept of Centers of Excellence wherein we fund
institutions that combine bench and clinical research as well as physical,
speech, and occupational therapies.

We presently have 52 Centers of Excellence.
http://www.parkinson.org/centers.htm

Maybe Joan Samuelson knows the up-to-date answer...

Regards ,............. murray