Dear CASLL folks,

I have been hearing from a colleague about something afoot at
Universite de Moncton: I'll paste in a summary -- does anyone on
CASLL  know anything about this?  It has been mentioned to our
Writing Initiatives Committee (which I chair) as something that
might be worth our following up ...  I think you can imagine that I
am not keen, but I'd like to know more, and to receive your
impressions. ...

Susan

"There [at U de M] the faculty was raising the same concerns
about students writing in French as we seem to be discussing re
English writing.  I understand Moncton expended a great deal of
time and energy in researching everything from problems
associated with introducing a foundation course to what should be
in such a course.  In fact, this past weekend I believe a conference
on that very subject was held at Moncton.  Anyway, the result was
the introduction of FRAN 1903 - La Langue et Les Normes. This is
a compulsory course for all first year students, with a few careful
defined exceptions.  It is a credit course. ... There is a placement
test.  It requires the student to write 400 words on a general
subject. it is then evaluated in terms of orthography, grammar,
syntax, punctuation etc. Also across the university there is an
expectation that faculty will all mark accordingly and there are set
norms that students are expected to achieve year by year."

Susan Drain, Ph.D.                      Tel:  902 457 6220
Department of English                   Fax: 902 457 6455
Mount Saint Vincent University          [log in to unmask]
Halifax, NS
Canada B3M 2J6