At 10:50 PM 11/02/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>Absolutely not !!!!  That would result in the higher bidder winning out,
>and then the consumer loses BIG!
>The federal scientists (not administrators) are dedicated and not
>beholden to anyone and can give the most objective results.
>Michel

Good Morning Michel,
How is Barb this morning?

I hate to disagree with you again, but I worked in County
Government for too long and believe me, they only work
with certain bidders, no matter what the cost.
Many times jobs can be done less expensive and better
someplace else, but if you don't have you name on the
list, you lose out!  The Federal Govt. operates the sameway,
unfortunately!

A few years ago a new branch of Barnes & Noble Bookstores
opened up here in Plantation and they were having  huge discounts
to attract customers.  One of my jobs at the library was to purchase
new computer books. I talked to the manager of B&N and he
offered the library a 25% discount on any computer book I picked
out at the store.  Not only that, they would have delivered them to the
library, and they would wait for a check to be cut by the County Finance
Dept.  The average wait is about two months.

Well, I was ecstatic!!! Guess what~~~ I tried everything, so did my boss,
but we were unable to take advantage of this offer because they were
not on the list!!!!!

I had to order those books from our vendors, at 20% off ,and four months
later they were delivered to the library, then it took another two months
for them to be cataloged and placed in the book stacks.

The two months to be cataloged and placed on the book stacks would have
been the same, but by adding four extra months to the time frame plus
an added 5% in cost, I felt was a disservice to the patrons of our library,
and to the taxpayers, of which I am one, of our County.

The Federal Govt. unfortunately operates the sameway.
Which is why I feel the FDA ,given their past history, needs a good overhaul.
Not to worry Michel, no one ever listens to me anyway!!!

just me,
Marjorie
who is seeing yellow mourning doves in her backyard.
The only bird whose color is correct is those 3 blasted
Blue Jays. GGGRRRRR!!!!!