18 years old is adulthood? Not in my experiences. If so, why don't we let
them drink at that age? Most don't really reach adulthood till about 23 to
25.

Besides it was't that he couldn't communicate to them, he chose not to. Who
knows better than he and his spouse as to whether or not to that decision
was a proper one. We know nothing about their personalities and maturity at
that age.