Dear David-- that is certainly possible.  Things out of context are easily
misconstrued.  All I have heard is people SAYING he said that, and then
today on NPR mention of the statement of the 2 scientists in Ann Arbor (U.
of Michigan) stating what they  knew he *really* said. I forget their
names, but that were said to have been involved in the development of the
net.
 To say one has "initiated efforts" in a certain direction, i.e. to get
legislation passed in Congress as a member of that body, seems to me to be
different from saying one has "invented" something. I think too that Gore
knows the origin of the net was for military and scientific use, now
greatly expanded to include our  discussions here .   FWIW