1.Mortality rate and complications would play a role in the selection
process.

2.As for medical schools maybe(?) this ranking url can help somehow with
perception of impressiveness of competent verses incompetent docs.
G.P.A. and MCAT of medical schools. The results are 5 years old , but
the lowest G.P.A. was 3.1. Never heard of a doc with a C+ G.P.A who
finished medical school and passed their Boards. However, doesn't mean
their aren't any.

http://dolphin.upenn.edu/~amsa/medgpa.html  try this url for G.P.A. and
MCAT score rankings.
http://dolphin.upenn.edu/~amsa/index.html

3.Doctor number 2 below  must have initially started with 1 surgery.

Greg Sterling wrote:

> Premise:  You must have DBS surgery
>
> Option 1 -  Dr. X is not the most competent doctor and has only done two other similar procedures in his career, but he has an expert staff of highly skilled and respected doctors on his team.

4.Then look at the other surgeons on that team. What other surgeries are
similar to DBS? Seriously I don't know and want to know. Anyone??

 He is certain that they can resolve any surgical complications through
a combined effort of problem solving.   He graduated from medical school
with a C+ average.
******
5.Probability of that doc passing the neuro surgery Boards is almost
null. The education these neuros have to go through, residancy
requirements, and their fellowship requirements is unimaginable. They
just don't graduate med school and get a diamond edged knife.

> Option 2 - Dr. Y is a world renowned neurosurgeon who specializes in PD and has done over 100 DBS procedures.  He also has an elite team with a proven, time tested record.  He is kind of a geek, and not real sociable.

 He has all kinds of academic awards, scores of published books and
articles, and is  constantly updating his education.  He graduated from
medical school with honors and an A- average.

> Decision - Who does your surgery?
>
> VOTE YOUR CONSCIENCE!

6.Hard sciences are based on proven fact not feelings.

7.A=B doesn't mean B=A.

8.Doctor 'Y' probally gets to pick her/his patients.

nancy