> > Barbara,
> >     My mother has had Parkinsons for nearly the last 20 years and now she
> > has reached a point were she can hardly eat. The main problem is that she
> > can not chew her food. But to complicate the problem she is a diabetic. I
> > was wondering if there is any list of foods, etc. that you could suggest
> > help this situation. Any thing you can suggest will be appreciated.
> > Thank you,
> >
> > Gary Mcleaming

Dear Gary,
Your mother has several concerns -- Parkinson's, diabetes,
and difficulty chewing. This is a very complex situation;
unfortunately, it is not possible to give a list of foods
that's OK for her to eat, she requires specialized and
individualized counseling. Her physician should refer her to
a dietitian and a speech-language pathologist who are
experienced in PD. The SLP needs to perform a swallowing
evaluation, to make sure that she is able to chew and
swallow safely; and can also help her with her eating
difficulties. If a special food consistency is needed, the
SLP will recommend that. The dietitian can evaluate her
blood sugar control, and will consider her diabetes and PD
medications, and can assess the best possible foods, in the
recommended consistency, to help her manage her chewing
difficulties, while helping keep her blood sugar controlled.
She may need to time meals and medications as well, if she
is using levodopa.

You might contact Corilee Watters, a dietitian I met with
last year when I presented a seminar on nutrition and PD in
Edmonton. She may be able to recommend someone near you.

            "Watters, Corilee" <[log in to unmask]>

My very best regards to you and your mother,
Kathrynne

--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD
Author: "Eat well, stay well with Parkinson's disease"
"Constipation and Parkinson's" --  audiocassette & guidebook
"Guidelines for Medical Nutrition Therapy for Parkinson's
disease"
     & Risk Assessment Tools
"Risk for malnutrition and bone fracture in Parkinson's
disease,"
     J Nutr Elderly. V18:3;1999.
http://www.nutritionucanlivewith.com/