>On November 1 the British House of Commons rejected by a vote
>of 175 to 83 a bill to permit research of stem cells using human
>embryos no older than 14 days after fertilization.

This is all part of the UK digesting the "Donaldson report" into
Therapeutic Cloning. The vote was on a bill introduced by a
backbencher under the "10 minute" rule, and I think I am correct in
saying that bills introduced in this way aren't generally expected to
become law. However, they are a guide to "the mood of the house".

You can read the specifics here
http://spring.parkinsons.org.uk/donaldson/972377807/index_html

The real debate into stem cell research is indeed happening in the
UK, and will draw to a conclusion in the coming weeks. From what I
hear at the moment the "Pro-life" groups are doing a much better job
of putting their case to MPs and Members of the Lords - who are
getting many many more letters against stem cell research than they
are for.

Therefore its *very* important for those living in the UK to contact
their MP and encourage them to support Therapeutic Cloning - and to
do so *now*.

You can read more detail on SPRING's web site
(http://spring.parkinsons.org.uk/) and in particular the special
section about the Donaldson report
(http://spring.parkinsons.org.uk/donaldson/).

Simon
--
--------- My opinions are my own, NIP's opinions are theirs ----------
Simon J. Coles                                 Email: [log in to unmask]