here's to barb "list-mom" patterson!
one heckuva miracle worker!

with love

janet

Post: 006595, dated 8 Nov 1995 21:22:37
From: Barbara Patterson <[log in to unmask]>
Subj: Happy Anniversary to us

On November 8, 1993, the parkinsn list was started.  Happy second
anniversary to all of us.

Barb

Post: 006608, dated 8 Nov 1995 23:49:27
From: Jeffrey Romanyshyn <[log in to unmask]>
Subj: Happy Second B-DAY!

To celebrate the list's second birthday, i am reposting a poem which many
of you have probably seen, but perhaps some newcomers will enjoy it.

Happy 2nd B-Day Barbara!  (If only we were two years old again) :-)
(This poem is a humorous, yet serious, examination of one of life's simple
tasks made difficult when one has Parkinson's Disease, which I do)

the real adventure is putting on your socks

the real adventure is putting on your socks,
it's difficult to do early in the morning.
your eyes, they don't focus,
your fingers, they don't pinch,
your toes, they don't wiggle.
i sometimes sleep in my socks,
i'm not always in the mood for adventure.

j.r. romanyshyn

12/11/94

Post: 016123, dated 8 Nov 1996 08:06:21
From: Barbara Patterson <[log in to unmask]>
Subj: Happy 3rd Birthday to us

The Parkinsn Information Exchange Network is three years old today.  A
lot of things have happened since the beginning of our list...some good
... some not so good.

We have grown to 1423 members from 35 countries.

We have shared first-hand information, scientific information, humor,
poetry, and opinions, but most of all, support to each other.

We have had two 'spin-off' lists..the Caregivers list and the Shy-Drager
list.

We have shared, with our US members, the excitement and enthusiasm of
their efforts to get the Udall bill passed...and their sadness and anger
when it was postponed.

We have grieved together in our loss of Alan Bonandar.

We have admired Mohammed Ali for giving the world a 'snapshot' of
Parkinson's at the Olympics.

I have met some wonderful people..people I am proud to call 'friends'.
To name just one:  John Cottingham, who has spent hours of his time and
energy helping me and all of us.  Thank you, John.

When the opportunity arose to start this list, a dear friend of mine
encouraged me to do it.  Shortly after that, she wrote to me:  "It sounds
as though your idea of initiating a PD network was a way to meet a lot of
needs that hadn't been identified until the network started.  This could
become a self help group with an awful lot of knowledge and power, and it
may lead to some changes in research and treatment."  If she could only
see us now.

Happy Birthday to all of us and thank you for being there.

Barb

Post: 016127, dated 8 Nov 1996 09:16:19
From: Camilla Flintermann <[log in to unmask]>
Subj: Re: Happy 3rd Birthday to us

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO US!! and a"Niagara"of thanks to Barbara Patterson for
starting this process 3 years ago! I'm sure everyone appreciates what you do,
Barb--we just don't say so often enough!
Camilla

Post: 016139, dated 8 Nov 1996 13:04:40
From: Elizabeth Southwood <[log in to unmask]>
Subj: Happy 3rd Birthday to us

Thank you, Barbara Patterson, for starting this network, and to all the
people who participate, also - I have learned so much that is valuable and am
doing things again I had thought I couldn't do because of the horrible PD -
such as French conversation.  Happy Birthday, and many happy returns!!!
Liz S.

Post: 016140, dated 8 Nov 1996 13:42:33
From: Jeremy Browne <[log in to unmask]>
Subj: Happy 3rd Birthday to us

Hi Barbara

> The Parkinsn Information Exchange Network is three years old today.  A
> lot of things have happened since the beginning of our list...some good

Congratulations - you're a star!

And your baby has a life of it's own - stand back while it takes off!

Post: 016141, dated 8 Nov 1996 13:53:51
From: [log in to unmask]
Subj: Happy 3rd Birthday to us

Barbara,
I for one appreciate all that you have done for us by starting the Listserve.
I can't let a day go bye without logging on and seeing "what's happening " in
the Parkinson world. You have made a tremendous contribution in the lives of
so many. Thanks again.      John F. McCabe     (58 yrs, dx 1991)

Post: 016142, dated 8 Nov 1996 15:00:44
From: Marty Rose <[log in to unmask]>
Subj: Happy 3rd Birthday to us

Dear Barbara,
I have only been on the list for about 2 months, but getting my mail is
one of the highlights of my day.  Thank you  SO MUCH for starting this.
I only wish I had discovered it sooner -I  have been greatly helped,
encouraged and blessed. God bless  you for your kind heart. Marty Rose

Post: 016145, dated 8 Nov 1996 15:18:57
From: Joco Paulo Penna de Carvalho <[log in to unmask]>
Subj: Happy 3rd Birthday to us

Please have my special congratulation to you.

Joao Paulo Carvalho ([log in to unmask])

Post: 016149, dated 8 Nov 1996 17:41:02
From: [log in to unmask]
Subj: BIRTHDAY CONGRATULATIONS

Barbara and All,
Happy birtday to the list and to all whose notes have made it such a
helpful place to seek information and friendship.

Post: 033174, dated 8 Nov 1997 16:12:56
From: Barbara Patterson <[log in to unmask]>
Subj: Udall Bill Passed - open the champagne?

Congratulations on a job well done!  This is wonderful!  What a great
birthday present for our list!  Thank you to all who have worked so hard
and so long to promote passage of this bill.  Those of us who are not
from the US could only watch and wait and pray for this.  Now, we can
celebrate with you and for you.  I propose a toast to all who have worked
towards passage of the bill and all of us who will potentially benefit
from it.  Thank you for a job well done.  (I hope nobody minds if my
toast is with Grand McNish Scotch...champagne gives me a headache. :)

Cheers!

Barb

Post: 033181, dated 8 Nov 1997 17:31:59
From: Dennis Greene <[log in to unmask]>
Subj: Udall Passes House & Happy Birthday to us

So the list is a scorpio. No wonder it is such an intelligent,
compassionate,vibrant, volatile, positive, extrovert and
(in one word) wonderful entity.

Dennis (born 8 Nov 1949)

Post: 051127, dated 8 Nov 1998 07:37:30
From: Dennis Greene <[log in to unmask]>
Subj: birthday

Happy birthday List.

Scorpio's Rule!

Post: 051154, dated 8 Nov 1998 14:08:50
From: janet paterson <[log in to unmask]>
Subj: heppy burp-day / my new e-mail address

hi all

amazing!
five years of commune-ication!
thanks to our list-mom barb patterson!

a small token:

a new voice                                         98/05/04

a new voice
discovers an accepting and accessible listener
a list-ener

a list
of people
describing struggles and victories
commune-icating through a miraculous medium

a list
of humans
sharing their pain and joy
connecting in a profound way

a list
of siblings
becoming a family

janet paterson

as if our birthday isn't enough to celebrate
i also am pleased to announce my
escape from aol-iania
hence my e-mail
address is
now

heppy burp-day to all

your cyber-sibling

janet

Post: 051161, dated 8 Nov 1998 15:20:57
From: Barbara Patterson <[log in to unmask]>
Subj: Happy 5th Birthday to us all

It's hard to believe that this is the PARKINSN list's fifth birthday.  It
doesn't seem that long since I was as nervous as a two-tailed cat in a
room full of rocking chairs when the first announcements of the list were
sent off into cyberspace.  Since then, I've had the opportunity to meet
some terrific folks both in cyberspace and in person.  Our list has
spawned several new lists in that time...CARE, the Shy-Drager list,
PARKLISTE, and now the Dutch-speaking list.  Keep up the good work!

You're a great group of people...among the most caring and knowledgeable
people I know.  It's great to have Charlie Meyer back with us.  BarbM,
Janet P., Judith, Ivan, Dale, Don, Carole, Kathryn, Bill and all the
others..you make 'listowning' a pleasure.

In memory of Alan Bonander, I wish us all a happy birthday.  May research
soon make this list a pleasant memory.

JM .... if you could only see us now.

Barb

Post: 051176, dated 8 Nov 1998 18:11:14
From: Maryhelen Davila <[log in to unmask]>
Subj: Happy 5th Birthday to us all

Happy birthday to all on our PARKINSN list's fifth birthday!

Thank you from the heart Barbara!!

Maryhelen

Post: 071252, dated 8 Nov 1999 06:32:32
From: Dennis Greene <[log in to unmask]>
Subj: Nov 8

Dear list,

It's already Nov 8 here in the future (i.e. Australia) so:

Happy birthday to you,
Happy birthday to you,
Happy birthday dear Parkinson's Information Exchange,
(pause to catch breath)
Happy birthday to you,

janet paterson, an akinetic rigid subtype parkie
53 now /44 dx cd / 43 onset cd /41 dx pd / 37 onset pd
TEL: 613 256 8340 URL: http://www.geocities.com/janet313/
EMAIL: [log in to unmask] SMAIL: POBox 171 Almonte Ontario K0A 1A0 Canada