FROM ENCARTA 1999.

Bill of Rights, first ten amendments to the U.S. Constitution, safeguarding
fundamental individual rights against usurpation by the federal government
and prohibiting interference with existing rights. The precedents for these
stipulations came from three separate English documents: the Magna Carta,
the Petition of Right, and the Declaration of Rights. Virginia, in 1776,
and Massachusetts, in 1780, had incorporated bills of rights into their
original constitutions, and these two states, with New York and
Pennsylvania, refused to ratify the new federal Constitution unless it was
amended to protect the individual. In 1790, Congress submitted 12
amendments, 10 of which were adopted in 1791 as Articles I through X.
***************************************************************************************************************************************************
Sid ,
What you say is so true, however, people forget it took from July 4,1776 to
1791 to get the first 10 amendments
to the Constitution ratified and adopted.
The Bill of Rights is what makes the Constitution work.
I wish I had been alive then to know if people were screaming for people to
concede their rights and
get on with the program, as they are now.

I'm afraid that now, no matter who wins, the other side will feel they have
been cheated.
Like so many things in my life, I just wish I could go to bed, wake up and
find that I just
had a nightmare, and that these things aren't really happening!!

just me,
Marjorie