TO JOHN WALKER and all other interested parties
.
One detail not mentioned in the article about cadavers as a stem cell source:

The probable life span of a stem cell (or any other cell) is apparently
determined by something called a telomere. They are at the tip of our DNA and
every time the DNA replicates, the telomere shortens. It is the clock of our
biological system and usually determines when our hair will go gray or when
we start to get wrinkles etc. Shortened telomeres indicates a shorter life
expectancy.
The stem cells from a full grown corpse have shortened telomeres and
therefore a short life-expectancy. Using stem cells from a fertilized egg,
less then 14 days old, gives us long-life stem cells.
In addition, the latest research seems to say that young stem cells area bit
more versatile and flexible.
The differences points out the need for more research with both. Research is
for learning and learning requires more than one approach to a problem --
otherwise you really never know.
The discovery that stem cells can be recovered from a corpse is good news and
at the same time -- bad news for the research with the cells obtained from
eggs surplus to an invitro program.
We need research in all directions, but now the guns are loaded against
youthful stem cell research. I presume they will gleefully continue to
incinerate excess product of the invitro program -- rather than let them go
into research. Too bad.
Sid Levin