On 9 Nov 2000, at 21:27, Fran Landes wrote:

> Dear Listmembers,
>
> Does anyone have any knowledge about electric beds?  I am not sleeping, am
> very uncomfortable and dread going to sleep.  I am having difficulty moving
> or even changing my position.  I am also having trouble getting into and out
> of bed.
>
> Someone suggested that I look into automatic beds.  Any information about
> this including brands, do they make a difference, etc., will be appreciated.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Fran Landes
> 46/45/43

Hi Fran,
I know nada about 'lectric beds... so I looked on the wwweb...

Network Magazine - Vol. 3  No. 14  June 1999
A Communications Forum for People with Multiple Sclerosis
and Allied Neurological Disorders in South Australia

~10
ELECTRIC ADJUSTABLE BEDS
Many Members ask me about electric beds and the pros and cons of buying one or
getting on the ILEP list to obtain one.

This print-out from the Independent Living Centre may clarify the situation
and help with any decisions.

* What are the main features of electric beds?

* Why choose an electric bed?

Several models of electrically adjustable beds are available.  The. electric
controls plug into the mains power, and are operated by a remote control.
The user may operate the control him/herself, or this may be performed by the
carer if necessary.  The physical effort involved in adjusting the bed is
minimal, and may increase the independence of a person with limited mobility,
or reduce the physical effort needed by the carer to position the person
comfortably in bed.

There are many options and adjustments available in the range of electric
beds.  Some of these include raising and lowering the backrest, raising or
lowering the height of the bed, providing a knee break position (leg
elevation), and tilting of the whole bed.

Therefore careful consideration of the different features available in
electric beds needs to be considered.

HINTS FOR SELECTING APPROPRIATE FEATURES

ELECTRIC BACKREST ADJUSTMENT
Elevating the backrest may allow the user to sit up in bed independently, may
allow the user to change position to improve comfort, may assist with
transfers in and out of bed and may provide relief from some medical
conditions. (eg.  Hiatus hernia, asthma, emphysema).

ELECTRIC LEG ELEVATION AND/OR KNEE BREAK ADJUSTMENT
Elevating the leg section may provide comfort for some people.  Elevating the
leg section with a knee break may prevent the user sliding down the bed whilst
in a sitting position.

HEIGHT OF THE BED
The bed may be a set height, which is suitable for the individual, or an
electric hi-lo option, which allows the bed height to be adjusted, With the
hi-lo operation, the bed height may be raised or lowered depending on the
needs at the time. (ie. For carers undertaking personal care the bed height
may be higher, and for client transfers the bed height may be lower).
There are some electric beds where the bed height adjustment will almost lower
to the floor.  This may be useful if there is concern that the person may fall
out of bed.

TILTING OF THE BED (this may be called Trendelenberg)
This may be an option for specific needs. (eg. Postural Drainage)

SIZE OF THE BED
Is a single bed required, or a double, queen or king size? Sonic electric beds
are available only in single bed sizes, where others are available in a range
of sizes, and many may be customised. Sonic beds are available as dual beds,
allowing a user to share a double bed with a partner. (who may or may not
require the electric options.)

STYLE OF THE BED
Electric beds are mainly designed for hospital or home use. Variations are
available in the home use beds such as timber framed or ensemble beds. A
choice of mattress may also be an option. The mattress needs to be able to
bend with the differing adjustments of the bed. Clearance under the bed may be
an important factor for people who use mobile hoists to transfer in and out of
bed. Castors on the bed are useful for moving the bed.  It is advisable that
the castors have brakes as a safety feature.  The brakes should be easy to
operate. If accessories are needed, ensure they can be easily added. (eg. bed
rails).

THE REMOTE CONTROL
Ensure the remote control is conveniently located and easy to operate.

COST OF THE BED
Depending on the style and the options required, electric bed prices may vary
greatly. Decide carefully which options are important.

Please contact The Independent Living Centre, or the MS Society, if you would
like further information on electrically adjustable beds. I hope this has helped
Libby Morris
Occupational Therapist

**********************

Electric bed available for someone in need
INTERESTED IN one of those luxury-type electric beds that you see advertised
on TV? Lynn and Bill Knaus are donating their bed to anyone needing this item.
Call 925-634-7561 if you are interested.
http://www.contracostatimes.com/community/columnists/dee/stories/xhlphnd_20000920.htm

**********************

Gammie Home Care

FULL ELECTRIC BED
http://www.gammie.com/3030.htm

**********************

SunTec Shaft Drive Semi-Electric Bed
http://www.accessibilityproducts.com/hospital/290-494.htm

**********************

Our most advanced Adjustable bed
http://www.qualitysleepsystems.com/ink/electric_beds.htm

**********************

The InvacareŽ Home Care bed is clearly the best in the market.
http://catalog.invacare.com/pcatalog/gss.nsf/ce1a4f0b73c904a485256434005c1839/f73bc3db0563f8b58
5256838004ec115?OpenDocument

http://catalog.invacare.com/pcatalog/pb.nsf/BEDS02?OpenView

**********************

NOA Medical presents its new advanced Electric bed . . .
http://www.noamedical.com/electric.htm

**********************

Full Electric Bed
Call Today For Our Low Prices!
Delivery Available to Local Locations.
1-888-873-0438
http://www.smithsdrugs.com/fullelectricbed.html

 To attempt qualification for payment you need a written
order from your pysician for this piece of equipment. Your
medicaid/medicare policy numbers should be submited on their original
document as well.
We also will need the information listed in this document.
http://www.smithsdrugs.com/fullelectricm.html

I hope this is of some assistance..... murray