Audrey and list members: I have just been having similar thoughts about some of the recent posts. However, with a daughter who is an attorney, a son-in-law who is an attorney and a brother-in-law who is an attorney, I still like attorney/lawyer jokes and will poke fun at them as they do me. I have been amused at how serious some on this list take their politics. Seems my Alabama cousin was wrong! He had a saying for just about everything and usually it was humorous. The one that comes to mind about recent posts is "A skunk smells his own stink first." The thought struck me recently that if those on the political left quit the list, the rest of the group would be in a spin for days trying just to fly right and vice versa. I have never understood how we can get so serious about something they (the politicians) are poking at us in fun. Since Senator Brownback is my senator; am I supposed to take him seriously? I had a conversation with one of his staff on the medical question of Stem Cell research. After the conversation, I felt I had been talking to a full-grown certified escapee from Larned (the state mentally challenged farm). I was given to believe that eventually if you lean too far to the left or to the right you will end up looking like the Leaning Tower of Pisa. Of course, if you happen to be leaning into the wind you are okay until the wind stops. Anyway, it is amusing to see the kettle calling the pot black! Best to all............Jack At 18:39 11/16/00 -0800, you wrote: >Lanier, > >Did you know that statements which infer that all of any group are the >"same" is untrue and unfair? My oldest son is an attorney who is both >ethical and honest, and one of my brothers is in the *other* party to >me, but is a dedicated and hard working state representative. To make a >joke about any group is to deny the reality that everyone is different >and this is especially true of careers. It might be wise to consider our >own prejudices when we make statements that reflect on any group no >matter how many others think it is amusing. > >*seattle* audrey >friend of pwp aussie john 49/42/38? > *********************************************************** E. Jack Savely CG for Jeannette 62/38/37 Topeka, KS [log in to unmask] *********************************************************** KANSAS - 'THE WHEAT STATE' HOME OF THE SUNFLOWER AND 'TOTO' Ad Astra per Aspera - 'To the Stars through Difficulty' ***********************************************************