hi all

At 12:53 2000/11/21 -0500, camilla wrote:
>Dear Janet--- the problem of unintended length to a post
>because of the MIME version which follows the plain text
>is one we have also on CARE.  I have searched my own MAC
>menus and cannot find where I could set preferences to
>eliminate MIME (if my posts had it, which they don't) and
>I think it would be useful if more specific clues could be
>given, so folks could do this as a courtesy to others on
>the list. I  realize that there are a lot of different
>email software programs being used, and there isn't a
>one-size-fits-all explanation.  Perhaps, rather than posting
>to the whole list, a helpful suggestion could go to an
>individual poster when necessary?  I know that some members
>find it a nuisance to have to delete the MIME stuff when
>saving or printing a post, which is perhaps why email
>guidelines specify "plain text".  FWIW---
>Camilla Flintermann, CG for Peter 82/70/55

the MIME problem doesn't exist in MAC land' only in IBM-PC land because
machintosh apples use BINHEX coding for translating non-text files
attached to e-mail messages

also, please note that the MIME problem originates
in the "MULTI-PART-MESSAGES" setting in the e-mail software program -
anything called 'text/plain' in this context is a mis-nomer

7-BIT ASCII TEXT is the only truly plain text format
and it definitely canNOT do "multi-part-messaging"

your CARE list is also run by LISTSERV software;
subscribers to both PARKINSN and CARE could change their
subscription settings to NOMIME

since the LISTSERV user manual is written in "geek"
[translations gratefully received!]
i'm not completely sure what the NOMIME setting does
but it surely couldn't make the mime problems we are experiencing worse!

i advocate sharing these tips with everyone
since we have new members coming on board all the time
and
since these nitty gritty explanations of why things happen the way they do
are not readily available anywhere -
i am still learning new 'secrets'
even after messing with computers for 17 years!

surely if a list message is clearly labelled as an e-mail tip
it could be deleted instantly by those who are not interested?

OTOH, maybe i could gather up the e-mail tips messages from the archives
and put them in the newbie section of my website?

janette
gurette
godette

janet paterson, an akinetic rigid subtype parkie
53 now /44 dx cd / 43 onset cd /41 dx pd / 37 onset pd
TEL: 613 256 8340 URL: http://www.geocities.com/janet313/
EMAIL: [log in to unmask] SMAIL: POBox 171 Almonte Ontario K0A 1A0 Canada