----- Original Message -----
From: "Marjorie L. Moorefield" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, November 15, 2000 9:31 AM
Subject: Non PD:Squirrel Feeders

> All of you who have been following my Saga of the Squirrel feeders
> will find amusement in the following.
> I ordered a feeder for my Sis and her twin grandchildren, aged 9.
>

>  From my Sis in Fort Worth, TX.
>
> "Your package arrived yesterday.  Thank you so much for the squirrel
feeder.
> The kids will love it and I will enjoy it too.  It was shipped from
> Benbrook, TX, which intertwines with the Fort Worth city limits and is
just
> a stones throw from my house.  Small world."
>
> just me,
> Marjorie

Marjorie-- Though I do not live where I have any squirrels to feed, my
experience in the hinterlands of Kentucky (a true oxymoron if there was ever
one..) feeding birds taught me that the best squirrel feeded is a bird
feeder that you guard against squirrels.

One morning I watched a squirrel make a amazing and successsful assaut on my
bird feeder filled with sunflower seeds.   The squirrel's taget was my bird
feeder (guranteed squirrel proof!).  The feeder was tied to a tree and a
corner of the roof, wiht twenty five feet of plastic covered cable
suspending it eight fee above the ground.   The squirrel dropped off the
cable repeatedly into the acorns under the oak tree, and repeatedly got up,
inching its way to the feeder upside down!  He got there, and spent the
morning cleaning out the sunflower seeds and dodging the birds who were
defending what they considered their food.  From that time on, I set a
feeding station for squirrels in appreciation of their ingenuity and
tenacity.

For my money, the best squirrel feder which will chalenge them is a squirrel
proof "bird feeder."

EjB
53/38sympt/41diagnosed/12