dear sheldon
         my jack had a similar problem and the doctors couldn't give him any
relief
so i looked in my home medical books and also found nothing on it.
  after thinking of problem  i figured it seemed similar to a child with
croup and have treated it as same.  i got a steam vaporizer [the cold water
water type did not help] and run it overnight , also have a facial steamer
that he uses if he feels chocked up in morning before breakfast.  this has
helped him. another item that you can get artificial saliva  also -- biotene
mouth wash and toothpaste will help to keep mouth moist.
   check with your druggist.
    connie