Dear Sheldon,
Dry mouth can be a concern for several reasons -- it's
uncomfortable, it's harder to chew and swallow food, food is
less well digested, and also dry mouth can set the stage for
dental caries that are very difficult to treat.

It may help if your mother sips water frequently to keep her
mouth moist; also, some people chew sugarless gum to help
with saliva flow. I strongly encourage her to speak with her
dentist about fluoride treatments or mouthwashes to help
prevent cavities; and also the dentist might recommend an
artificial saliva, which could also be helpful at night.

Best regards,
Kathrynne

--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD
Author: "Eat well, stay well with Parkinson's disease"
"Constipation and Parkinson's" --  audiocassette & guidebook
"Guidelines for Medical Nutrition Therapy for Parkinson's
disease"
     & Risk Assessment Tools
"Risk for malnutrition and bone fracture in Parkinson's
disease,"
     J Nutr Elderly. V18:3;1999.
http://www.nutritionucanlivewith.com/