Twenty five years ago my best friends Father,(not a PWP), committed
suicide.  These friends were our guests for Thanksgiving and in the
course of one conversation my friend related to me how the wound
he felt over his Father suicide had never healed.

I wrote the following poem to him at that time, and mailed it to him.
This was way before computers, and he asked me if I still had a copy,
because it had helped him so much at that time.
So I thought I'd send it on to the list
in the hope that it might help someone else.

FAREWELL TO A FRIEND

When tomorrow holds no promise,
and all the yesterdays are filled with pain
the human spirit ebbs and flow with,
"Shall I go, or yet remain"?

With malice toward neither friend nor kin,
the eternal promise to be free of pain
and sorrow, made him anxious to begin
sunlit walks, moonlight strolls, and renew
acquaintances of so long ago.

A life no longer in his grasp became impossible
to maintain, forgive him now, for he chose
not to remain.

Marjorie L. Moorefield
Nov. 1976