Derek,

While I am a psychiatrist(with PD),  I am aware of the use of ECT
successfully in PD and given her current state what do you have to lose? It
can be given relatively safely. even in relatively debilitated people.  It
causes a massive release of  neurotransmitters including dopamine.  It
while sounding and appearing barbaric is actually  a very useful tool in
psychiatry and sometimes neurology for the right patient.

Charlie
At 12:05 AM 11/23/00 -0800, you wrote:
>URGENT
>If anyone with PD has any observations on the use of ECT in the treatment
>of Parkinson's Disease would you please contact me as soon as possible as
>this treatment is being recommended for my wife and will probably be
>arrangd in the next 10 days.
>Thanks
>Derek Pocock
>p.s. at present my wife is bedridden, fed thru a stomach tube and has
>spent most of the last 6 months in hospital and/or convalescent care.

Charles T. Meyer, M.D.
Middleton, WI
PD DX  12 years (at age 44)
Age 56