Date sent:              Fri, 24 Nov 2000 14:28:50 EST
Send reply to:          Parkinson's Information Exchange Network <[log in to unmask]>
From:                   Sid Levin <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                DEGENERATIVE DSK DISEASE
To:                     [log in to unmask]

> product called TENS (Trans Cutaneous Electronic Nerve Stimulator). It
> is for control of pain and seemed to work best for nerve damage
> conditions.

TENS units are used and prescribed by many physicians.  I use them
in my practice.  They are helpful for the relief of localized pain and
have no side-effects.  Sid is correct when he says that they must be
used correctly in order for them to be effective.

They are carried by many medical supply places.  I order them for a 60-
day trial rental first, the patient picks up the unit and brings it to my
office, where I instruct them in its use.  If it works for the patient, at the
end of the trial, the unit is purchased.  Medicare and most insurance
covers it.

"Maintenance" involves batteries and tape-on electrodes.  An
occasional patient is allergic to the electrodes, and one as ot order
special electrodes (more expensive) by mail order.

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S., P. C.
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, California  94704-2636
Telephone:  510-849-2555   FAX:  510-849-2557
WWW:  http://www.rafink.com/

mailto:[log in to unmask]

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"