Date sent:              Sat, 25 Nov 2000 16:39:07 -0500
Send reply to:          Parkinson's Information Exchange Network <[log in to unmask]>
From:                   "Marjorie L. Moorefield" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Re: Shock therapy
To:                     [log in to unmask]

> At 12:54 PM 11/25/2000 -0800, you wrote:
> >So, folks, here is the "evidence" (for ECT being of value in PD).  My
> >skepticism (and cautions) are as strong as before!
> >

> >Best,
> >
> >Bob
>
> Bob,
> I certainly agree with you being cautious ,but no one has ever been
> able to measure the desperation of a PWP and their families. I have no
> idea what I would do, or want my family to do ,if and when I reach
> that stage.  Still it's nice to know it just might be an ace up a
> sleeve when the time comes. Thank you for doing your research on this
> subject.
>

> just me,
> Marjorie
> 68/58/55

"Desperation" is not a good indication for a given treatment.  Would
"desperation" be a reasonable indication for undergoing brain
surgery?  Open-heart surgery?  Especially if there was very little
scientific evidence that those procedures would help in any real way?

Shock treatments are every bit as risky as major surgery, in some ways
more than most surgeries.  ECT should be considered in the same
category as surgery.

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S., P. C.
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, California  94704-2636
Telephone:  510-849-2555   FAX:  510-849-2557
WWW:  http://www.rafink.com/

mailto:[log in to unmask]

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"