To all who have an interest in PD:

Since being diagnosed in January '99,  three  Young-Onset PWP 's have
committed suicide; there may be others.  To some statisticians this number
would not be alarming; I find it alarming.  These three were all under forty
years of age. Dealing with this disease, regardless of age,  is challenging
to say the least. My intent is not meant to discriminate against any age
group, thus I need information.  Does anyone have stats on PWP 's  with
regard to suicide and age?  Is this more prevalent in YPWP's?  Is  age a
factor at all?  Recently, our state coordinator of PD support groups, called
to tell me I was Alabama's  state leader/advocate/ambassador -at- large for
YPWP.  Basically what I've been doing is taking calls or calling people who
are referred to me by the state coordinator, doctor, etc. and helping them
with disability filing,  doctor referral and obtaining meds if they have no
insurance.  Here in Alabama, we do not have a large number of YPWP.  Since
the numbers are small  in any given area having  support groups specifically
developed for YPWP isn't feasible at this time. I'm in the process of
developing a support group type program for YPWP in Alabama.  But would like
to carry it farther especially with regard to PD and suicide.  I'm writing  a
grant seeking funding for this program.  I could benefit from any advice,
stats, ideas, etc. you or anyone participating on this listserv.  might
share.  I can be contacted via the following:

                Sharon F. Parker                 address
                1301 Castleman AV SW
                Decatur, AL  35601

                256-350-4639            phone

                [log in to unmask]       email addresses

Any and all info, ideas, and suggestions are welcome.  Thank you!

Sincerely,
Sharon Parker