For the past six months, my husband has experienced quite prolonged episodes
of freezing, which we feel are often brought on by anxiety, particularly if
he feels pressured to be able to move well for a certain time (to take my son
to the bus stop, for instance), or in crowd situations. He has been given
anti-anxiety medication to help but didn't care for side effects, and
discontinued.  His neurologist suggested taking an extra 1/2 Sinemet as
needed (up to 3 halfs a day), which often gives him the boost he needs to get
going again.

When we are out somewhere, or even here at home, and he is "frozen" in place,
we have learned to put a foot in front of his, which seems odd to someone
watching who has no clue. But for some reason, by seeing an obstacle in front
of his foot, his brain somehow signals his foot to lift over it. We will
repeat this for several repetitions and soon he can walk again.  It also
works if we place several items in his way, forming a line of sorts of
obstacles to step over. It sounds strange, but it works.  Encourage your wife
to use a walker, also, one with good support to offset falls.
Pamme