On 26 Nov 2000, at 9:21, Sharon Parker wrote:

> To all who have an interest in PD:
>
> Since being diagnosed in January '99,  three  Young-Onset PWP 's have
> committed suicide; there may be others.  To some statisticians this number
> would not be alarming; I find it alarming.  These three were all under forty
> years of age. Dealing with this disease, regardless of age,  is challenging
> to say the least. My intent is not meant to discriminate against any age
> group, thus I need information.  Does anyone have stats on PWP 's  with
> regard to suicide and age?  Is this more prevalent in YPWP's?  Is  age a
> factor at all?  Recently, our state coordinator of PD support groups, called
> to tell me I was Alabama's  state leader/advocate/ambassador -at- large for
> YPWP.  Basically what I've been doing is taking calls or calling people who
> are referred to me by the state coordinator, doctor, etc. and helping them
> with disability filing,  doctor referral and obtaining meds if they have no
> insurance.  Here in Alabama, we do not have a large number of YPWP.  Since
> the numbers are small  in any given area having  support groups specifically
> developed for YPWP isn't feasible at this time. I'm in the process of
> developing a support group type program for YPWP in Alabama.  But would like
> to carry it farther especially with regard to PD and suicide.  I'm writing  a
> grant seeking funding for this program.  I could benefit from any advice,
> stats, ideas, etc. you or anyone participating on this listserv.  might
> share.  I can be contacted via the following:
>
>                 Sharon F. Parker                 address
>                 1301 Castleman AV SW
>                 Decatur, AL  35601
>
>                 256-350-4639            phone
>
>                 [log in to unmask]       email addresses
>
> Any and all info, ideas, and suggestions are welcome.  Thank you!
>
> Sincerely,
> Sharon Parker

Hi Sharon and All,
Before I knew I had Parkinson's...  I experienced depression.
(I didn't know anything about depression either until my life changed
for the better)  Does depression go hand in hand with PD?  You bet!

Did I have suicidal thoughts?  Let's just say it entered my mind...
Did I seriously consider it?  No!  But, I believe I am one of the calmest
least sucidal persons walking the face of terra firma.

I also believe ... Suicide goes hand in hand with depression...

In fact: The #1 cause of suicide is untreated depression.

Where am I going with this?  There are websites and hotlines and
professionals to deal with this... keep reading...

DISCLAIMER
The diagnosis and treatment of depression and other psychiatric
disorders requires trained medical professionals. The information
provided below is to be used for educational purposes only.

It should NOT be used as a substitute for seeking professional care for the
diagnosis and treatment of any mental/psychiatric disorders.

Is age a factor?
State of Wyoming - Suicide and Depression Initiative
http://wdbh.state.wy.us/planninginit/suicide.html

The Dr's. Hutton mention suicidal thoughts as a symptom of depression in
the  Young Onset Parkinson's Disease Handbook:
Chapter 8: Psychological Issues
scroll down to...
Depression
Common reactions to the diagnosis of any chronic illness, including PD, are
denial, anger and depression.
Symptoms of depression are:
Depressed mood
Markedly diminished interest or pleasure in all or almost all activities
Significant weight loss or weight gain when not dieting
Insomnia (too little sleep) or hypersomnia (too much sleep)
Agitation (restlessness, keyed up or being slowed down such that it is
noticed by others)
Fatigue or loss of energy
Feelings of worthlessness
Diminished ability to think or concentrate
Recurrent thoughts of death or suicide
The clinical criteria for depression is to have at least five of these
symptoms during the same two week period with at least one of these
symptoms being either depressed mood or loss of interest.
http://neuro-www3.mgh.harvard.edu/parkinsonsweb/Main/YOPD_Handbook/CHAPTER_8.html

The APDA also tie thoughts of death or suicide to clinical depression.
APDA Young Parkinson's Newsletter - Spring 1999
Note: Stress management techniques are not a cure for clinical depression. Clinical depression
symptoms are: loss of appetite, sleep disturbances, hyperactivity or lethargy, anxiety, crying, slowed
thinking, thoughts of death or suicide, feelings of worthlessness, hopelessness and guilt. If you
have symptoms of depression, please consult you physician. Depression is a treatable disease.
http://members.aol.com/apdaypd/young/stressre.htm

Here is a "thread" on another list you may find interesting...
Controversial issues: why stigmatization of mental health exists in an "enlightened" society
http://www.dr-bob.org/babble/20000429/msgs/32653.html

It leads to ...
Drug related violence and suicide
http://www.dr-bob.org/babble/20000526/msgs/35096.html

I've found an excellent source of "links" at this site...
Ken's WebSampler: Medical/Health
http://ivory.lm.com/~kholt/WebSampler/medical.html

scroll down & click on Mental Health, Depression & Suicide
http://ivory.lm.com/~kholt/WebSampler/medical.html#mental_health

If you are thinking about suicide, please
                follow this link to
                http://www.metanoia.org/suicide/,
                or call 1-800-SUICIDE (1-800-784-2433)

Cut this out - keep it with you - you may save a life - get professional help 24/7
IN EMERGENCY CALL 1-800-SUICIDE (1-800-784-2433) National Hotline

If you are thinking about suicide, please visit this site:
Suicide Awareness / Voices of Education
http://www.save.org/

More links...
American Association of Suicidology
http://www.suicidology.org/index.html

SPAN: Suicide Prevention Advocacy Network
http://www.spanusa.org/

Important Phone Numbers...
http://www.spanusa.org/phnumb.htm

Thanks for listening.  I hope this may help someone.

Best regards to you all ......... murray