    Dear Derek  --   My first wife was able to hold on and raise 5 children with me, and I feel that the ECT  she received was very helpful towards that end. She had a moderate amount of short term memory loss at the time, but I am convinced that  this worked in her favor; she had deep feelings of inadequacy that faded away also.  There is evidence that  schizophrenia and   Parkinson's are somewhat related because they both result in abnormal amounts of dopamine in the brain.
        I hope others will E-mail the list on this subject. It is a rather  scary topic;but that is one reason, I made the effort to respond. It might convince someone more reticent than me to share their experience also. Best wishes, Bill Olson,   Now 70, diagnosed in 1983
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Derek Pocock
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, November 23, 2000 2:05 AM
Subject: Electroconvulsive Therapy

URGENT
If anyone with PD has any observations on the use of ECT in the treatment of Parkinson's Disease would you please contact me as soon as possible as this treatment is being recommended for my wife and will probably be arrangd in the next 10 days.
Thanks
Derek Pocock
p.s. at present my wife is bedridden, fed thru a stomach tube and has spent most of the last 6 months in hospital and/or convalescent care.